• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A few Grado questions

burnsyaz

Active Member
Hello I recently picked up a Technics SL-Q300 at a thrift store and it came with this Grado Cart. It is a beige p-mount cart that says Grado in silver raised lettering on top. On the front it has a raised G and says Grado under that. I am assuming that this cart was purchased back in the 80's. It sounds pretty nice but I have a few questions.

1. What model is this?
2. What model would be the modern Grado equivalent to this cart?
3. When do I know when it is time to replace the cart vs. just replacing the stylus?

Thanks as always -Tony
 

Attachments

  • grado.jpg
    grado.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 63
Register to hide this ad
When in doubt, email Grado - they're very good at getting back to people on past model IDs and almost any other info (they pride themselves on their customer service and it shows).
 
When do I know when it is time to replace the cart vs. just replacing the stylus

The cartridge itself has no moving parts to wear out, so it should last though several stylus replacements. Usually when a cart goes bad, it will lose sound through one of the channels.
 
This has a tan body, and thus is an older p-mount Grado cartridge, from prior to the Prestige Series.

Grado cartridges from this prior series can accept styli from the Prestige series. You can use any one of them.

The identifier for which stylus (and thus which cartridge you have) consists of two tiny colored dots located on the flanges of the stylus assembly. For example, two red dots corresponds to a Grado Prestige Series Red.

Fred
 
Ok Fred I got the stylus off of the cart but the dots are not colored. They are the same tan color just as the rest of the stylus and the cart. I'll post a picture later tonight if that would help identify the stylus.
 
If you can remove the body of the cartridge from the headshell look on the top of the body at the back end a long the edge. It will tell you the Month and Year of manufacture.
Sounds like an older Grado GTE stylus.
 
Back
Top Bottom