• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Jensen speaker that no-one knows about

ArtD

Active Member
I've had a pair of coaxial Jensen speakers for a couple of years that I've been unable to get any information on. I think I even asked on this site before and had no responses. I was cleaning the rather battered cabinets today and took some pics so thought I'd ask again. You don't see many Jensen home audio drivers down here in New Zealand so no-one local has been able to help.
They seem to use the same cast frame as the Sigma series but have foam surrounds and a different shaped treble horn than I've seen on any of the Sigmas. Here's some pics, maybe someone will recognise them.
 

Attachments

  • J front1.jpg
    J front1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 172
  • J frame2.jpg
    J frame2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 155
  • J label.jpg
    J label.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 167
  • J back.jpg
    J back.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 165
Register to hide this ad
I too recognized the parabolic shapes on the frame and thought it looked like a pair of Sigmas I have.

Have you checked the old ads on the web for it? I'll post back where that is in a second.

Edit: http://www.hifilit.com/Jensen/Jensen.htm

Those ads end in about '56, maybe the SG series was after that as I don't see them there.
 
That's an expensive looking driver, bet it sounds nice. If it was mine I would be trying it in an open baffle.
 
Thanks for posting that link but I'm sure the drivers are later than the mid 50s. The best clue I have for dating them is that the remnants of the old foam surrounds were an aqua green colour. I did once see some ads for 3-way Jensen speakers from the mid 60s and that made me think that these would be from around that period.

When I bought new foams from the USA the company I bought them from did not recognise the speakers and would only supply the correct foams once I sent them the code printed on the back of the cone. That made me think that the same cone must have been used in other Jensen speakers, maybe the 3 ways that I had seen.

They do sound very good and might sound even better once the crossover components have been checked to see if they are still within specification. I have sometimes wondered what they would sound like if they had the surrounds from the earlier Sigma series put on them.
 
Back
Top Bottom