• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Little Help For Windows XP Users

I was a network site manager back in the 1980s in Gurnee, Illinois. Nearly came to blows with the global network manager over his decision to replace my network of ethernet and WfW 3.11 with OS/2 Warp and Token Ring. Replaced $30 ethernet with $400 token ring cards and my cheap ethernet switches with $3,000 IBM Token Ring Access Aggregators. What a waste of money. And slower, too. But he called the shots. He was a true blue IBM kool-aid drinker.


Wasn't speaking of IBM hardware, just OS/2 vs DOS, but no need to go into that as this thread is about XP!

I remember both and not with fondness. Seemed every accounting and law firm I had dealings with were converting, spending enough to fund the Federal debt and getting not work done.

I went in another direction. Bought a Dell 286 at a time when Michael answered the phone, built the computer, boxed and shipped it and later was the telephone service department. Added a 3 meg expansion card loaded with ram, multiport serial card, SCO Xenix, a half dozen Wyse 50, 100 and my trusty Tandy Model II and 16b running in Wyse 100 terminal mode. Huge 40 meg hard drive and good to go 24/7 for more than 10 years, only needing to bring it down for a few hours to replace the hard drive. No IT expense, no IT department and ran both my CPA and law firms. V/Pix allowed DOS for my lone DOS program, the bankruptcy system to be run from the terminals.

I hear ya! I was one of those goofy guys running an Applied Engineering Z80 card in my Apple //c so I could run CPM, Wordstar and dBase!
 
Back
Top Bottom