• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A look inside a AU-819

Register to hide this ad
Very rare and very special. I have a self-restored 919 (thanks to all the help here) and would love to be kept informed on your work. Be careful. Hope you have a service manual. :smoke:
 
I see the glue. Will this be a comprehensive refurbishment like the 919? Will you keep the original output transistors on this one? It looks to be in very nice shape as is.
 
It has the original outputs. This thing looks like it has very low hours, so if they test strong I will keep them. Everything else must go, just like in the 919s, because it lacks any 'life' to the sound right now... it's too polite if you will.

Scott T.
 
It has the original outputs. This thing looks like it has very low hours, so if they test strong I will keep them. Everything else must go, just like in the 919s, because it lacks any 'life' to the sound right now... it's too polite if you will.

Scott T.

My 919 has the original outputs. I have the new replacements on standby that EW brought to our attention. How do these outputs measure weak? I thought if they worked,...that was good enough. :scratch2:
 
My 919 has the original outputs. I have the new replacements on standby that EW brought to our attention. How do these outputs measure weak? I thought if they worked,...that was good enough. :scratch2:

I think he was referring to the rest of the componentry as contributing to the "lacking life" sound, not the output transistors.
 
Those main filter caps will mostly need to replaced. You'll need a decent cap checker to check them.
 
For sure on the main caps. They are the same as used on a 717, so I can use the Nichicon KG Gold Tune that are available, if spendy.

Scott T.
 
I wouldn't go too crazy unless they are puffy or leaking. Prety good filter caps in them from the factory.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't go too crazy unless they are puffy or leaking. Prety good filter caps in them from the factory.

I would replace them. I have a B-2101 and some of the main caps have small pimples on the rubber. I pierced one of the pimples and goop started coming out. They weren't in good condition. They all measure less than 9000 uF when they should be 10,000uF. The new Panasonics that I have to replace them all measure above 10,000uF as they should. The B-2101 is a younger amp than the AU-517 so as a matter of course you should replace them and many of the other smaller caps as well.

I believe the Nichicon small KZ, and FG MUSE caps are a better constructed cap compared to the Panasonics. The Panasonic main filters I have are the GAA series with the screw terminals which is what the originals are.
 
I have the AUD707, the japanese version of the AUD819. Good sounding amplifier by the way. I have only one concern, it's about the loudness tone, in the low frequency in my unit it seems that the frequency used is around 120Hz or so, it does not sound like the 50Hz that appears in the data sheet. The bass is not very deep when the loudness is active. And I have felt the same in another AUD707 unit that I know.

How do you feel this control ?
 
Back
Top Bottom