• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A McIntosh Tuner, Is There One In Your System?

No drifting issues here, and I only use an indoor antenna. To my knowledge it has never been serviced, have you considered sending yours off to master Dewick?

Yep, I've spoken to THE MAN and he just said wait until it gets really bad to send it to him. He said 20% of all the MR78s out there have this problem and that solving it is very difficult if not impossible (with some). He actually said in many cases the best solution is to leave it ON.

I'm considering taking mine to a McDealer in Beaumont instead of shipping it, but I'd much rather have Terry do it. First have to wait & see how things go with our jobs... our gov't contract is ending and a new one will be awarded next month.
 
MR78 is just fine. We have a couple of local stations that play great music.

Some guy named skippy says that an MR71 would be good for me too :banana:
 
MR78 Tuning drift

Yep, I've spoken to THE MAN and he just said wait until it gets really bad to send it to him. He said 20% of all the MR78s out there have this problem and that solving it is very difficult if not impossible (with some). He actually said in many cases the best solution is to leave it ON.

My MR78 exhibits this, only to a tiny degree; and it always has in the 15 years I've owned it. When it is first turned on, the tuning meter will be slightly off center from where it had been tuned; but if you correct it, after it warms up it will be "off" in the other direction. So, I just leave it alone, as it "fixes" itself. Just as Terry says, leaving it on may be the answer. In my case, it's not a serious problem anyway. In fact, it's not a problem at all.

Pete
 
Hi,

Yes, the tuner sections in my McIntosh MAC 1900 and MAC 4100 receivers and we own many McIntosh separates with McIntosh tuners. We have MR 65B, MR 67, MR 71, MR 74 and MR 77 tuners at home and at work. They are superb sounding and reliable, service friendly tuners. :tresbon:
 
My MR78 exhibits this, only to a tiny degree; and it always has in the 15 years I've owned it. When it is first turned on, the tuning meter will be slightly off center from where it had been tuned; but if you correct it, after it warms up it will be "off" in the other direction. So, I just leave it alone, as it "fixes" itself. Just as Terry says, leaving it on may be the answer. In my case, it's not a serious problem anyway. In fact, it's not a problem at all.

Pete

My tuning meter does that too. It takes at least 45 minutes for things to stabilize, and the tuning meter will be way to the right by then. It has trouble with some stations, and it will even drift after it's been on all evening... it just mutes out of nowhere, and the station has to be de-tuned and re-tuned.
 
MR78 is just fine. We have a couple of local stations that play great music.

Some guy named skippy says that an MR71 would be good for me too :banana:
Careful, that guy will get you in trouble spending money on more McGear. :nono:

Murray
 
TM1 in my MX119; however, I've never connected it up. There aren't many good stations out in Tracy, CA. Perhaps when I finally get to Pescadero I'll use it. :dunno:
 
TM1 in my MX119; however, I've never connected it up. There aren't many good stations out in Tracy, CA. Perhaps when I finally get to Pescadero I'll use it. :dunno:

You have more will power than I do. I couldn't stand to have a feature in my Mac, and not have it functioning. Knowing a McIntosh tuner was under the hood, but not connected would drive me nuts until I plugged it in.
 
You have more will power than I do. I couldn't stand to have a feature in my Mac, and not have it functioning. Knowing a McIntosh tuner was under the hood, but not connected would drive me nuts until I plugged it in.

You said it, Dan. It's the only Mac source I have and we play it every night. Oh, the missus will sometimes yank that McVolume knob down, but deep down she appreciates it... even with all its quirks.
 
Geez, Dennis......a folded dipole and a matching 300 ohm to 75 ohm matching transformer are about $10 at Radio Shack. There might be some good stuff on the air you just haven't discovered. You never know.
 
I own an MR78 and an MR7082. Fortunately, Portland (Oregon) still has decent jazz and classical programming on FM, as well as NPR news.

I have the MR78 set up in my home office, where it is used in combination with active Dynaudio MC15 speakers for a simple but very enjoyable home office system (the volume control on the MR78 is very useful). Sound quality and reception with the MR78 are wonderful, especially after it returned from the DeWick tuner spa and rejuvination facility.

The 7082 is out in the living room, and is used by everyone in the household, including some who rebel against not having presets. In terms of performance, the 7082 is nice but the MR78 is significantly better.

I really enjoy finding out about new artists and performances previously unknown to me on FM.
 
Geez, Dennis......a folded dipole and a matching 300 ohm to 75 ohm matching transformer are about $10 at Radio Shack. There might be some good stuff on the air you just haven't discovered. You never know.

I think maybe you’ve shamed me into to connecting an antenna this weekend. :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom