• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A new Flexy rack joins the ranks.

notime2read

Active Member
I just finished my Flexy rack build and am really happy with the results. I built this rack for my small home office and had a difficult time finding the rubber washers locally without spending $1.00 or more for each one. I needed 30 for a 5 level rack which would have cost nearly $40 at Home Depot or Lowes. Even ACE was $1.5 for each of them. However, I after doing some searching thru the store I found a slightly different plumbing washer or $.17 each! There is actually less rubber surface area and a thicker dimension to them which I think will help isolate vibration.

I used 5/8 threaded rod and hardware, 16' x 24' 3/4 MDF for the shelves and rubber chair leg protectors on the bottom of each of the three supports. Black paint was rolled on. The height is 48" which brings my music server PC and 1TB drive right at eye level.

Total cost was less than $100 including a new drill bit, paint, roller etc.

Jerry
 

Attachments

  • leg with washer.jpg
    leg with washer.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Flexy finished empty.JPG
    Flexy finished empty.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 316
  • sIMG_6059.jpg
    sIMG_6059.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 273
  • sIMG_6060.jpg
    sIMG_6060.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 182
Register to hide this ad
Nice job notime. Great looking gear too.
I'd like to get one built this winter. I've read some guys use 4 legs for more stability even though the original design is for 3. Any issues with weight distribution or isolation?

Enjoy the music,
-Mark
 
Nice. I need to give up on the pre-made stereo cabinets and build one of these that my stuff actually fits in.
 
Thanks. Yes, it is a bit too unstable for my liking on carpet. I thought of putting a large piece of wood under the rack for more stability, but I ended up placing 2 1"x2" strips under the one leg side. They added enough stability and don't seem to affect the damping. If you had this on a hard wood floor I doubt it would be needed.

Jerry
 
Thanks. Yes, it is a bit too unstable for my liking on carpet. I thought of putting a large piece of wood under the rack for more stability, but I ended up placing 2 1"x2" strips under the one leg side. They added enough stability and don't seem to affect the damping. If you had this on a hard wood floor I doubt it would be needed.

Jerry

I always wondered why only have one leg on the one side. Does that make it easier to put the components into the rack ? Or is there another purpose that eludes me ?

Has anyone made one with two legs in front and one in the back ? A lot of the store bought units are built that way.
 
I always wondered why only have one leg on the one side. Does that make it easier to put the components into the rack ? Or is there another purpose that eludes me ?

It's geometry. Any 3 points will define a plane. So it doesn't matter if your 3 legs are exactly the same length, the rack isn't going to rock. With 4 legs you have to make sure they're all exactly the same (in the same plane) or you're going to get rocking and instability.
 
Great job. How is the wobble side to side? This is always something I've wondered about.
 
As far as side to side and front to back is concerned it's rock steady. I was actually quite surprised the rack was as sturdy as it is. The reading I did all over the web (I'm really anal about things like this!) said 3 legs was better so I went with it. Cheaper too with one leg's worth of hardware not being required. The picture of the finished rack on the tile floor is where I tested it wobble. Nothing I could perceive. With the volume cranked up you can feel no vibration by lightly touching any of the components.
 
It's geometry. Any 3 points will define a plane. So it doesn't matter if your 3 legs are exactly the same length, the rack isn't going to rock. With 4 legs you have to make sure they're all exactly the same (in the same plane) or you're going to get rocking and instability.

Thanks Ray.
 
Looks great! I need to build one of those one of these days. :thmbsp:

Scott
 
i did a double wide flexy and have 6 rods, I can sit on top of it with no wobble. its about the most stable thing in my house.. me included ;) lol

if I do another one I would just do 1 rod in the middle rather than 2 but i personally liek the look of 4 rods over 3 in a single rack.. just my preference.

I have pictures on here someplace.. just search flexy rack and I have a thread.

if i ever get a flat screen.. i will build a short rack that is 3 or 4 wide to fit all my gear and have the tv on top.

Mc master-carr is meca for building these things.. everything you need except for the wood they have..

and cheap..
 
Another option from Lowe's

FWIW, Lowes has ready built components that would allow you to make the OP's rack for about $65.

The design would be a more traditional 4 leg design. The materials are in the storage section. Shelf in 16x24x3/4 are $7 ea. Finished in black, rosewood or maple. Legs are $5 a pack (4). Black or silver finish. 8, 12, 16 inch length. Caps are $3 (includes feets). Casters are $3. Glass shelves are $9.

The legs are hollow and can be filled w/ sand for additional dampening.

I have built several racks to store my vintage horde. Quick, cheap, decent looking.:thmbsp:
 
fastbike, Thanks for the info. any chance we could see pics of yours? It'd help us find the components -- or similar ones in case there's no Lowe's in a reader's neighborhood.
 
Nice job, notime. That's fabulous!

Considering the industrial nature of its component parts, it's amazing how elegant looking it becomes, all assembled and loaded with gear.
 
Back
Top Bottom