• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A new tuner to play with(GE Superadio II)

radioactive

tube gear fanatic
Got this off of my local Fb marketplace today and cant wait to do some side by side comparison with my GE Superadio III.Ive been reading and it appears out of all the superadios the II is suppose to be the better of all 3.For those of you that dont know these radios are good for Dx'ng the am broadcast band.
Here's some links on the radios .


https://radiojayallen.com/ge-superadios-evolution-of-a-classic/
https://earmark.net/gesr/
https://swling.com/blog/2021/02/chucks-re-capped-ge-superadio-ii-might-set-a-new-am-bcl-benchmark/
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Sorry no pictures of the super radio III i own as its had a hard life but is still kicking lol.i got that as a present when it first came out and should of taken better care of it but when ypur a teenager **** happens.
 
The speaker probably needs to be refoamed..:) I picked up a SR3 a few years ago at a garage sale too. I haven't played with it much. I'd like to try it out in a rural area. I should take it with me when I go camping next weekend and hook up a long wire to it.
 
Last edited:
2 and 3 are pretty close in sensitivity and selectivity... I still use a 2, though.
Its AM band can be adjusted so the x-band frequencies are receivable.
Bruce Carter had directions on that, and a replacement graphic for the tuning
dial, though I can't find them now. There's an SR group on groups.io that he
runs.
 
Got this off of my local Fb marketplace today and cant wait to do some side by side comparison with my GE Superadio III.Ive been reading and it appears out of all the superadios the II is suppose to be the better of all 3.For those of you that dont know these radios are good for Dx'ng the am broadcast band.
Here's some links on the radios .

https://radiojayallen.com/ge-superadios-evolution-of-a-classic/
https://earmark.net/gesr/
https://swling.com/blog/2021/02/chucks-re-capped-ge-superadio-ii-might-set-a-new-am-bcl-benchmark/
Whoops. Didn't follow all your links. The modification for the 2 tuning dial is
here: https://earmark.net/gesr/sr2.htm
 
A 7-2880-B version with dead AM turned up locally, it turned out to be totally misaligned in an bungled attempt to correct AM deafness caused by an IC chip with leakage between the AFC and AGC portions. I managed a perfect AM realignment and a work-around to separate the AGC from the AFC, and extended it thru the X band. The TDA 1083 radio-on-a-chip bit turns out to still be available. It's now a loaner/standby.
I bought a new 7-2880-B version in 1978-79 in an AFEES PX in Germany that I use bedside.
I also have a first 7-2880 version with gray hardware and no A/G terminals that works. The usual problem is rotted battery terminals with these, I use the bedside set on 6 D cells to isolate it from house wire noise, they last about a year with regular evening use.
 
Last edited:
2 and 3 are pretty close in sensitivity and selectivity... I still use a 2, though.
Its AM band can be adjusted so the x-band frequencies are receivable.
Bruce Carter had directions on that, and a replacement graphic for the tuning
dial, though I can't find them now. There's an SR group on groups.io that he
runs.
Thanks for the info ,ill have to look it up.
 
A B version with dead AM turned up locally, it turned out to be totally misaligned with a chip with leakage between the AFC and AGC portions. I managed a perfect AM realignment and a work-around to separate the AGC from the AFC, and extended it thru the X band. The radio-on-a-chip bit turns out to still be available. It's now a loaner/standby.
I bought a new B version in 1978-79 in an AFEES PX in Germany that I use bedside.
I also have a first version with gray hardware and no A/G terminals that works. The usual problem is rotted battery terminals with these, I use the bedside set on 6 D cells to isolate it from house wire noise, they last about a year with regular evening use.
Yeah, ill probally start using batteries on both my III and now II to at least elimate that for a start but with everything else that cuases rf problems i just unplug the problem causing it.
My III has been my bedside radio as well and replaced my Drake R8which was hook upto a Pixel pro 1b magnetic loop .Im going to have to get that loop back out and hooked up .Winter will be here soon which is the best time for am dxing.
 
Fwiw, the B version of the first series is my favorite of the three, but the first in good cdx is as good, minus the external antenna terminals.
 
The Super is no boombox, but it is as good as its reputation as a companion long distance standalone AM station grabber that sounds good. I'd have loved this thing as a kid, listening to distant stations evenings on less capable radios as I did, mostly ancient tube sets.
 
The Super is no boombox, but it is as good as its reputation as a companion long distance standalone AM station grabber that sounds good. I'd have loved this thing as a kid, listening to distant stations evenings on less capable radios as I did, mostly ancient tube sets.
Don't get me going on tube radios as that's another topic for another thread..
 
I'll be on holidays at the end of the month when I have some time to post my results of the 2 ge radios side by side.i might even try out the Fm band as well .
 
Got this off of my local Fb marketplace today and cant wait to do some side by side comparison with my GE Superadio III.Ive been reading and it appears out of all the superadios the II is suppose to be the better of all 3.For those of you that dont know these radios are good for Dx'ng the am broadcast band.
Here's some links on the radios .


https://radiojayallen.com/ge-superadios-evolution-of-a-classic/
https://earmark.net/gesr/
https://swling.com/blog/2021/02/chucks-re-capped-ge-superadio-ii-might-set-a-new-am-bcl-benchmark/

Just posted yesterday in another forum about the SRIII, but had not seen this thread. I periodically read swling.com but was not aware of above link. Thank you.
 
A "helper" external tuned loop like Select A Tenna won't do a lot for normal nighttime lower 48 dx on the SR, but try it during the day if your rf noise cdx allows. This will surprise you.
 
A "helper" external tuned loop like Select A Tenna won't do a lot for normal nighttime lower 48 dx on the SR, but try it during the day if your rf noise cdx allows. This will surprise you.
Ive never tried my ge superadio with my pixel pro 1b magnetic loop but it sure worked great for am dxing on my other s/w recievers.I had it on a rotatator so i could null out the noise or adjacent stations .It worked great on the am band and ok for hf.i had my allpha delta dx ultra + pro 82 ft t2cfd that i used for hf until i moved and didnt have room for it.
 
Back
Top Bottom