• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A New Years score by my brother in law

skippy124

Super Member
So my brother in law calls me to tell me of his latest exploit in picking up vintage audio, he knows I am into it and he has turned up a couple of things in the past.

He tells me that he thought that he would do the right thing with a redundant analogue CRT TV that was no longer of any use, so he took it down to his local recycling depot. He is putting the TV in the recycling cage, when he spots, in his words, an old amp and tuner on one of the shelves, so he figures that he should swap the TV for these, which he does. He then tells me that the amp and tuner are both Sansui brand..... And my interest is duly piqued, but I am expecting some late 80's or 90's BPC. I asked what the model numbers are, and he says...... A...... AU......... 217 ( he didn't have his glasses on), and I thought that ain't too bad, a 217 for free is a pretty good pick up. I ask if the tuner is a TU-217, and he says "hang on, I'll go and grab my glasses". He comes back and says that yup, the tuner is a TU-217, but he says he made a mistake with the Amp - and I fear the worst - BPC - he says hang on....it is an A..... AU........ AU717 !! I says.... sh!t are you sure (717's are fairly rare over here), and he says yup, and that both are in excellent condition, no marks or scratches, and they both work perfectly....... and I am duly baffled why anyone would toss these out....

Another Sansui amp (and tuner) rescued from oblivion!


Cheers

John
 
Register to hide this ad
Wow! :yikes: - Now that's the way to start the New Year! - An AU-717 & TU-217 both in great working condition for free :yes:

Will they be gracing your workshop bench? - Lol
 
That's amazing ! - good for you John ! - or rather your brother in law ;)

Please post some pictures if you have the time :thmbsp:
 
Wow! :yikes: - Now that's the way to start the New Year! - An AU-717 & TU-217 both in great working condition for free :yes:

Will they be gracing your workshop bench? - Lol

It was a great pick up!

He is going to bring them both for a check over shortly, I have already advised him of the things that should be checked, and that the glue will need attention probably sooner rather than later.


That's amazing ! - good for you John ! - or rather your brother in law ;)

Please post some pictures if you have the time :thmbsp:

It was amazing John, I advised him that he had most certainly "scored"

Pictures will be posted when I get them on the bench :yes:
 
As promised, some pics of the 717, and the TU217, plus an additional piece.....





Front panel - no marks or scratches (the smudges picked up by the camera flash on the front panel will go with a clean)





view of the top with cover removed





another top view with the tone control cover removed







original outputs





Th inside has been cleaned before - this is the film of dust on the chassis under the tone control cover





rear panel








Inside surface of the base plate - very clean





The TU217 is on top, it is also very clean and ha been well looked after, and I have donated a SE5 Equaliser to complete the stack





 
It is in excellent condition John, and has been very well looked after, as has the TU217.

The bias was a tad high on one channel - 27mv instead of the 20mv specified, and the other channel was 42mv. Offset was 30mv and 90mv. Bias and offset was set to specs, and apart from a noisy balance pot (a common problem in my experience), she performed very well.

The glue as gone off and has affected some components, the fuse resistors in the drivers and tone control measure a little high, and if you look closely at the driver boards you can see some "shrunk back" heat shrink on the small electros adjacent to the main filter caps at the top of the boards. I will do a complete resto on this in a couple of months time, and apart from a couple of marks on the top cover, I reckon this will come up as a 9.5+
 
Kudos to your brother!!! There are times when they are good to have around. I have three, but none have ever made a find like that. And he is most fortunate to have you to refurb them for him.

Nice stack - - -
 
Back
Top Bottom