• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A nice vintage preamp?

I am not familiar with Phase Linear preamps but I have a Phase Linear 400 II power amp and love it.

Suggestions for preamps:

Superphon Revelation II, Kenwood L-07c, Marantz SC-6, Sony TA-86 ou TA-88B (very rare).

Tube: Audio Research SP-9, MFA "Magus" preamp, Conrad Johnson PV-5, Conrad-Johnson PV-10
 
Marantz 33 has 2 outputs and 2 phono inputs (identical, I believe), and seems to go for a bit less than the 7T, when you can find one.
 
I have had nothing of similar quality to compare it to, but I really like my Pioneer Spec 1. If you like big and shiny, it definitely fits the bill.
(not mine)
spec1.jpg
 
I'd give another thumbs-up to the Luxman, B&K, and Denon PRA-1000 (which I'm using now)... some of the vintage Sony are also much nicer sounding than many might think, and are sharp to look at as a bonus. One thing I found out the hard way is; a preamp with very high line-out voltage can sound overpowering, even distorted with CD players... the combined output is just too much.
 
Back
Top Bottom