• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A pair of Bogen DB130's sing again

anynameyouwi

New Member
Just finished a trio of Bogen DB130 amplifiers. I did a full restoration on these. While I'm not a body and paint person, I think I did OK. Two of them were in decent shape the other needed quite a bit of work done. After several cleanings, they all received a full recap, some getting new topside capacitors others getting re-stuffed. All the mechanicals were inspected, thoroughly cleaned, and lubricated. Rust spots were sealed with Por-80, just in case. A couple potentionmeters needed replacing, a few resistors. The Selenium rectifiers were appropriately thrown into the trash and replaced with 1N5408s. Line cord and line capacitor were replaced with the latter being a proper safety rated capacitor.

I spent way too much time on body and paint trying to get the chassis' decent. As, I said I'm not a body/paint person, imperfections can be found. I don't have a paint booth, so rattle can and inclusions it is. I'm open to all criticism, critique, and 'nice job'.

Why?
I like the look of these. The stubby tapered legs just screams 1950's. The gold was a bit much though, so I toned it down. How many amps have 7 EQ settings? Also, the Heathkit A7s didn't fit with the aesthetic.

1741532372265.png

Paint
Legs: Flat white with Tamiya TS-45 Pearl White
Chassis: Dupli-Color BCC033 Champaign, Clear topcoat
Faceplate Surround: Dupli-Color BCC033 Champaign, Tamiya TS-45 Pearl White, clear topcoat

Below I will address them as Bogen 1,2, and 3. The photos in the albums may have gotten mixed up. It was hard to keep track of them. Chassis parts (faceplate, cover, feet) may have gotten swapped. To avoid the confusion, the newish film radial capacitors from Bogen 2 were applied to Bogen 3. They tested good and sound good, to my ears.

1 and 2 had the 6AV5GT replaced with 6FW5

Enjoy the mess!

Bogen 1
- keeper

This was by far the cleanest of the three with very little oxidation and rust. It had been dropped at some point in its life resulting in the front corner being compressed a bit. You can see a closeup of the face plate surround that required a spacer. Previous to my ownership someone had recapped the power supply capacitors but left it untouched otherwise. You can tell the before and after by the lack of manufacturer's mark on the replaced multi-cap electrolytic.

Bogen 2 - keeper

This one had been molested in a previous life. It had been recapped (poorly) and had a capacitor tree built out of bailing wire and cold solder joints. The before pictures are bit gruesome. Other than the electrical hack job, it was in good overall condition. The knobs had some mange but that cleaned up well.

1741531316091.png


Bogen 3 - for sale

This one had the most electrical and physical damage. The damping circuit previously suffered what I suermise was an unplanned hyperthermic event and left a swath of carbon on the chassis and burned the paint off the top. The balance pot was also missing half of its resistive material and was replaced. The mange on the knobs was pretty bad and took a lot of cleaning.
1741531383020.png

Rather than clog up the forum with too many pictures I'll include links to the albums on my Google Photos. Don't worry, there's some videos of how they sound from my Klipsch, to my phone, to the internet, to your speakers, so I'm sure the reproduction is perfect.

Full Gallery

Final Result
Bogen 1,2
1741525813915.png

Bogen 3
1741525886410.png
 
Register to hide this ad
The EQ made sense in the era. Lots of records were made before they standardized on the RIAA EQ curve. This was built to handle the various 78 rpm curves and pre-RIAA LPs.
 
How'd the laughable daisy-chain of replaced caps fit under the too-shallow chassis? I've had a db130 for a very long time, back in the 80s the 15 mfd cans started failing. I replaced as needed to keep it going, then ran out of room under there when the 3rd one went tits-up. Never occurred to me to gut & restuff the top-mounted cans. Still have it, maybe a future project, maybe bartertown bait. Coin toss...
 
Excellent work, it doesn't get much better. I really like that styling too, more so than most audio products of that era. They have a great nostalgic feel. Kudos!

Jack
 
How'd the laughable daisy-chain of replaced caps fit under the too-shallow chassis? I've had a db130 for a very long time, back in the 80s the 15 mfd cans started failing. I replaced as needed to keep it going, then ran out of room under there when the 3rd one went tits-up. Never occurred to me to gut & restuff the top-mounted cans. Still have it, maybe a future project, maybe bartertown bait. Coin toss...
1741611122578.jpeg
1741611227325.jpeg
They’re tucked in right edge mummified in electrics tape
 
This is a fine example of bad work. Also why I've largely abandoned sticking individual caps underneath in a chassis that doesn't have much space.
 
This is a fine example of bad work. Also why I've largely abandoned sticking individual caps underneath in a chassis that doesn't have much space.
it gets “better”. The top cap is my western union splice. I didn’t end using as it took up too much space. The bottom is a close up of the hook and solder blob from the previous criminal. That’s how they soldered all the caps. Some only had a mechanical bond. I removed all of it. You can see them re-used in Bogen 3. I had to extend the wires as this unit wasn’t designed for radial film caps. I didn’t want to spend extra money that I wouldn’t re-coup when I sell it.


1741614002513.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom