ive bought from this seller before. he seems to have an endless supply of vintage gear, professional pics, and generally his items are in pristine shape. i dont know where he gets it or how, but he often receives 2-3-4x what the same items will sell for under another seller. i think its his pictures and rep that give him enormous leverage. but the prices he gets on his stuff can get out of control and has had me puzzled for some time as well.
Yes, and in fact I was thinking of buying that table for precisely the reasons you mention. The gorgeous pro-quality pics and emphasis on correct packing made me think he had to be some kind of enthusiast-perfectionist. To me this equates to reduced risk of getting a bum table, which is worth some extra dollars. I figured it would be the last PL-630 I would need to buy.
When I left for the holidays the bidding was at $250. I figured when I came back I'd snipe it for $400 or something. But I was shocked to see the bidding had gotten up to around $1k, and of course it continued on from there.
I'm guessing some deep-pockets guys had the same feelings about the table and the seller that I did, but unlike me had the wherewithall to hang in with the bidding. I'll bet whoever won it will pay the price and get the table. He'll feel a twinge of pain but I'll bet in the long run the satisfaction it provides will justify it. Who knows, he might have had $50k tied up in retro-modern decor and this was just the piece to top it off.