• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A question about the MA5200

roadie1

Super Member
Greetings all. A question from a new owner of Mc. Right now I'm using the Wharfedale Lintons which I know are 6 ohm nominal with a drop into the 3's I believe. Will this harm the MA5200 while I seek out new speakers.

Lovin' McIntosh!
r1
 
Register to hide this ad
No your speakers will not harm your MA5200 unless the speakers are defective and have a short or something like that.

Those look like nice speakers, is there something you don't like about them?
 
No your speakers will not harm your MA5200 unless the speakers are defective and have a short or something like that.

Those look like nice speakers, is there something you don't like about them?

No, I really like the Lintons . Just a touch of warmth with lots of detail. I think they and the MA5200 make a good pairing.

Thanks!
r1
 
No, I really like the Lintons . Just a touch of warmth with lots of detail. I think they and the MA5200 make a good pairing.

Thanks!
r1

Looked up the Lintons and also the MA5200 and it does seem like a good match. The MA5200 looks like a great amp. Congrats!
 
All Mac amps with out autoformers are designed to perform at impedance down to and in most cases below 4 ohms. As long as you have adequate ventilation you will be fine. My 207's and 206's and former 7200 never had issues driving impedances that dip below 3 ohms briefly. MA 6200 for instance was designed to handle down to 2.5 ohms. All the auto former models have 2 ohm taps recently, so I can't believe a 5200 would be less capable to just below 4 ohms. Your amp has Sentry and Power Guard, it will let you know if there are issues.
 
Last edited:
All Mac amps with out autoformers are designed to perform at impedance down to and in most cases below 4 ohms. As long as you have adequate ventilation you will be fine. My 207's and 206's and former 7200 never had issues driving impedances that dip below 3 ohms briefly. MA 6300 for instance was designed to handle down to 2.5 ohms. All the auto former models have 2 ohm taps recently, so I can't believe a 5200 would be less capable to just below 4 ohms. Your amp has Sentry and Power Guard, it will let you know if there are issues.

Good info and I can breath easier now. Plenty of ventilation as it is on top of a stand. Thank you all!
 
Back
Top Bottom