• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A simple and stupid question

blueflowers1

Active Member
Banned
Hello! I recently picked up a Sansui QRX 7500. The wood is in fine shape, but the face is... hideous. Was in a smoking home and as you can imagine is now more yellow than silver.

I know it's kind of a dumb question, but what is the easiest, safest, and best way to clean the knobs and faceplate of this sansui? Are there any chemicals I could buy that would clean this up real nice? I garage sale/craigslist and sometimes find cool things... but find them very dirty! I wouldn't mind investing a few dollars into something that will bring my gear back to its true beauty!

Thanks for helping
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome aboard!

Let your parts soak in a warm water bath, using a gentle dishwashing detergent, like Dawn. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean cloth. Cotton T-shirt material works well.

Good luck, and post pics when you are done.:thmbsp:
 
Try warm soapy water and one of those disposable bristle paint brushes. A little Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bowl of warm water. Dip the brush and use it for a little scrubbing action. Come behind that with some nice premium absorbent paper towels like Bounty to wipe her clean. Pull the knobs off and just let them soak in another bowl with the same formula. If it is too stuborn for this proceedure then a little vinegar based window cleaner on that brush may help. Good Luck! Franksta
 
I use windex. Pull the knobs and spray away. Be VERY careful of lettering. Some products will remove it. Even windex on some, but rare for me.

Rob
 
I have used methanol, sold commercially as methyl hydrate, with great success and no removal of lettering. Methanol is highly flammable so do the cleaning outdoors, it is also poisonous so do not breathe the fumes or get any internally.
 
I have had good success using a citrus based spray cleaner such as Orange Clean ($1 a bottle at the dollar store). Has not taken off any lettering yet on about 12 pieces of gear that I have cleaned with it. Works good on vinyl, veneer, metal and glass. After using the citrus cleaner, I follow up with windex, especially on the glass. The knobs are soaked in a solution of 50% floor stripper and 50% water, then scrubed with an old tooth brush and rinsed with warm water.
To get the brushed aluminum nice and shiny and to help remove discoloration I use a polish ( Boyds Ultra Violet) made for aluminum and chrome car wheels. I find this really makes the brushed aluminum faces look like new again. So far I have not removed any lettering yet using this method.
If the case has vinyl covering, I use Armor All on it. If it is wood or veneer I use a wood polish. So far these methods have worked very well in brining these vintage pieces of equipment back to like new condition, even some extremely dirty and grungy ones.:yes:
 
Thanks a lot. I know it's a basic and simple question, but I didn't want to chance doing any damage to my new treasures. When everyone opens up again tomorrow I'm going to go pick up some of the orange cleaner, dawn soap, and a few other things and test them out to see what I like best. Thanks again everyone! And I'm glad I stumbled across this site!
 
I use just plain old ammonia. Remove all the knobs and scrub them with a tooth brush. Gently scrub the faceplate with the toothbrush dipped in ammonia. Follow that with a coat of lemon pledge. The stench of the ammonia kills and removes any smoke residue and you don't need to rinse like you do with dish soap and other soapy cleaners. I've cleaned several dozen pieces using this method and I've yet to have it fail me. A toothbrush dipped in ammonia does wonders for those cruddy rca jacks to. For the dial glass I use a q tip dipped in ammonia and scrub it clean. Take your time and the results will astound you. If you want to get fancy follow the ammonia treatment on an old tube unit with a coat of automotive wax applied with a q-tip. Great way to spend a snowy afternoon. Good luck
 
I have been using WD-40 sprayed on a cotton t-shirt with great success.

Removes the nasties and any residue lubricant rubs off and/or evaporates.

And it hasn't harmed the lettering on any amp/receiver/tape deck on which it has been used. However, since it contains solvents, use carefully/gently until you can ascertain if the lettering can withstand it.
 
I would be careful using ammonia based products, if left to long it can tarnish some types of metal knobs. I think Urizen has the idea, and that is how I do it, disassemble the face plate and knobs and let it soak in warm water, using dish detergent.
 
well I have to say, you guys sure are helpful and friendly! Cleaned up really nice, just used dawn and warm water. Took some elbow grease but it looks good now. I'd post some pics, but I don't have a digital camera. thanks again for your help
 
Hey blueflowers1 welcome to AK.

Nothing asked is a simple and stupid question. Only the ones not asked are. You could've used something harsh and washed the lettering off or disolved the plastics.

Start off with warm mild soapy water. If you do use any kind of commercial cleaning fluid make sure you neutralize any chemical reaction with soapy water then wipe clean with a clean damp cloth.

Use isopropyl alcohol with a cotton swab in metal areas without lettering and then make sure you wipe it completely off. Don't use it on plastic it can dull the finish. Isopropyl alcohol will be less toxic to you and will help to remove the cig smell.

Good luck and have fun!
 
cableguy2 said:
I would be careful using ammonia based products, if left to long it can tarnish some types of metal knobs. I've yet to run across a knob or any other piece of a chassis that tarnished using ammonia. I learned the ammonia method from a gentleman who's been in the business longer than I've been alive. I was skeptical to at first but after cleaning a few dozen units this way I'll stick with what works for me. If others have good luck with dawn and wd40 then they should stick with it. I've also heard wd40 get mentioned as a good cleaner for control pots. I'll pass on that tip also and stick with de-oxit. Cleaning up an old unit to me is fun and it's a great pastime on that rainy or snowy afternoon.
 
soundweasel comes closest to what I use, an oil-based cleaner called Lestoil. It will dissolve organics like nicotine while leaving silkscreening an anodizing intact. After the crud is removed I'll make a final pass with Simple Green.
 
Back
Top Bottom