• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Simply Brutal Review of Guns N'Roses

I've always liked Guns and Roses.

Too bad, tribute band.

'Everything' always comes to an end. G&R came to an end a long time ago. But they make raunchy, hard core, rock and roll in their time.

Oh well...
 
Last edited:
are ANY of these groups--Stones, Beach Boys, Guns, VanHalen, etc--still relevant? I mean they were OK "back in the day" but now they're just doing "wheelchair and gray hair" tours. O and sucking in people's money.

Harsh! :D

I've seen some bands in their older age. It's just really nice to see them once again, or for the first time. (As long as the whole band is together, or at least most of it. haha)

Seen Leslie West a couple few years ago. When he walked out on stage everyone was in 'shock'. Is 'that' Leslie West??? What happen to him???

I'll never forget this...

Then he went into a 2 minute solo guitar lick, stopped, walked up to the mic and said exactly quote word for word: "Oh ****, I'm just ****ing around!" The entire place just went TOTALLY bizerk. WOW!!

It was like a beyond outstanding concert. People were standing on their chairs screaming at the top of their lungs. For 2 hours! I was one of them. Couldn't even speak the next day. haha. F A N T A S T I C !! RIP Leslie. You were GREAT!!

It's just nice to see the old bands play again. If they are great, GREAT! If they are not, ok. It really doesn't matter. They don't need to prove anything. They have already proved it. Just nice to see them in person again. That's what you are really paying for anyway. To see them again.

Not to be taken seriously anyway...it's just a party...a happening. There they are, here I am...perfect. On location.

That's my take on it.
 
Last edited:
Harsh! :D

I've seen some bands in their older age. It's just really nice to see them once again, or for the first time. (As long as the whole band is together, or at least most of it. haha)

Seen Leslie West a couple few years ago. When he walked out on stage everyone was in 'shock'. Is 'that' Leslie West??? What happen to him???

I'll never forget this...

Then he went into a 2 minute solo guitar lick, stopped, walked up to the mic and said exactly quote word for word: "Oh ****, I'm just ****ing around!" The entire place just went TOTALLY bizerk. WOW!!

It was like a beyond outstanding concert. People were standing on their chairs screaming at the top of their lungs. For 2 hours! I was one of them. Couldn't even speak the next day. haha. F A N T A S T I C !! RIP Leslie. You were GREAT!!

It's just nice to see the old bands play again. If they are great, GREAT! If they are not, ok. It really doesn't matter. They don't need to prove anything. They have already proved it. Just nice to see them in person again. That's what you are really paying for anyway. To see them again.

That's my take on it.

As far as I know, Leslie is still among the living. Felix Pappalardi died awhile ago.
 
I was at the big riot in St. Louis in the early 90's. It wasn't pretty. I got out of there before it got ugly. I saw a video on local TV, about a half hour long of what I missed after I left. Chairs and sheet flying left and right!
 
...His indelible screeching — half bird of prey, half race car brake pad — was never expected to last for a lifetime...

Thank you for sharing finnbow. Best laugh I have had in a while.
 
Gun's hit when I was in I think 5th grade. Without the benefit of growing up in the 60's and 70's I felt it was the closest thing I'd heard that could compare to all those great bands. I've always been a fan of the early stuff and ''Appetite..'' is a favorite of mine. Axl can go pound salt for all I care, and he's one of my favorite singers. His ego and self-absorbed rockstar bs neutered the original lineup back then, and I wouldn't pay a dime for any of the new crap he's put out.
 
I always thought G'n'R were a bad Aerosmith copy also. Never got why people liked them. Metal for hairdressers, or people that don't understand the 'noise' part of metal/hardcore/punk. Black Flag, Flipper and even Slayer are U.S. bands that play more emotional music, and write intelligent lyrics.
Dangerous-to who? Promoted for teenagers by MTV. Look to Burzum, Graveland or Darkthrone for danger.
 
Bad reviews are an art form.

I'm a GnR fan. They were controversial when they came out among the music freaks. I chose to believe they were authentic and their hair-brained antics seemed to back that up. Rock was missing something and GnR had it for a brief brief period.

Not many folks are neutral about GnR. That's a good thing. I mean, who's got the energy to really hate Coldplay or Mumford & Sons. Hardly worth the effort.

As for a great American Rock & Roll band, I saw the Black Keys on March 9 at the Verizon Center. Reminded me of those old B&W videos of Led Zep when they just got rid of the "New Yardbirds" monicker. Heavy, tight, loose, funky, glammy, soul. These cats are single-handedly saving Rock w/o the preening, cooler-than-thou antics that characterize Jack White.
 
I saw them with Metallica on the Use Your Illusion tour. Despite being late on stage and Axel's piss-poor attitude, they were explosive. A great show.

As I said in another post, I get the feeling Axel has some low-level mental illness. He may never see the inside of the Bin, but he has never and will never be able to hold it all together band-wise.
 
Bad reviews are an art form.

I'm a GnR fan. They were controversial when they came out among the music freaks. I chose to believe they were authentic and their hair-brained antics seemed to back that up. Rock was missing something and GnR had it for a brief brief period.

Not many folks are neutral about GnR. That's a good thing. I mean, who's got the energy to really hate Coldplay or Mumford & Sons. Hardly worth the effort.

As for a great American Rock & Roll band, I saw the Black Keys on March 9 at the Verizon Center. Reminded me of those old B&W videos of Led Zep when they just got rid of the "New Yardbirds" monicker. Heavy, tight, loose, funky, glammy, soul. These cats are single-handedly saving Rock w/o the preening, cooler-than-thou antics that characterize Jack White.

Great post, Ken.

I'm on the other side of GNR non-neutrality. I never liked them, although I acknowledge that they were very good at what they did, and at least they didn't kill Razzle.:smoke:
But the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts, as is so often the case with great bands. Once the personnel changes started happening & Axl's delusional egomania ran wild it was Game Over. Has there ever been a bigger clusterf@ck than Axl's genius opus Chinese Democracy?

I will say that I only have the energy to intensely dislike Mumford & Sons, and to go out of my way to avoid them. For what it's worth, in my personal in studio experience they couldn't hit the harmonies to save their lives. An off day, perhaps. In my perfect world they would only be allowed to play at Bennigan's.
The Black Keys (that was a great show @ Verizon) are proof that we will always have great rock bands, & despite his numerous affectations (or perhaps because of them) Jack White offers that proof as well.
 
I will say that I only have the energy to intensely dislike Mumford & Sons...

I'll admit that a Ben Lovett accordian solo is, for me, the funtional equivalent of anger to Bruce Banner. That whole UK, nu-folk, Communion label authenticity musical scam reeks of damp, sweaty wool.

As for Jack White, I'm glad he exists. His restless energy and numerous projects quite often tap into something deeper than the same old thing. Still, I wish he'd find a band and settle down.

Speaking of bad reviews, one Washington Post reviewer ragged on the overly-zealous Mumford & Sons banjo solos.
 
Back
Top Bottom