• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A source for the 24 AWG twin lead, shielded audio hook-up wire

zebulon1

Retired finally and having a blast on the bench
Subscriber
I have two sx-1250's that need extensive rewiring and I'm looking to source this shielded wire.
Working in the airline industry, I've used many types of this wire but that wire is designed for that application and is over-kill for these receivers. Aviation wire is stranded and the audio is solid core.
Thanks for any advice and any reference's.

This is an image of the original Pioneer channel, signal wire I'm looking for.

DSC06537.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
The wire measures 0.020 which makes it 24 AWG in size.
I see DigiKey has this:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/alpha-wire/5491C-SL005/3713308

Its a 100 foot spool for $300
And its not exactly what I'm looking for.

5491C-SL00x.jpg
 
Belden 8451 or 9451. You can buy it online for $0.25 a foot. 22 ga, foil shield. Much easier to deal with than stranded or braided shield.

Belden 8422 is a 22 GA with braided shield. Its bigger and more expensive. Also available by the foot on line.
 
Belden is always hard to find the exact right cable (embarrassment of riches), but they will have the cable you want, as will WestPenn, Mohawk and others.
 
Solid core works for wire wrapping around a post, which is the primary reason it was used.
YES! And wire wrapping was used because manufacturers could get a top quality connection faster and work could be performed by a lesser trained technician with predictable results. $$$.
 
The information and product choice is perfect.
I wanted to go with the solid core for a more authentic job. The stranded looks like the frugal choice. I'm still looking but the 24AWG solid core is found in only large spools.
The Belden 8451, 22AWG, stranded, 100 foot spool is available at Mouser for $40.
My plan is to identify the signal wire using colored heatshrink at the connection ends. If I take my time it should look close too factory when completed.
When using the 22AWG stranded, I've twisted and tined a 2.5 inch stripped wire. I still can use the wire wrap method and apply a small solder connection to the tip of the wrapping pin. RA flux and cleaning of the pins is needed before any wrapping and solder is applied. It seems to work perfectly. That's how I solder in the replacement LEDs
Thanks for the top notch help!
 

Attachments

  • DSC06539.JPG
    DSC06539.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC06538.JPG
    DSC06538.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 44
When you are dealing with a unit where someone has hacked up the wiring, there is only so much you can do, unless you want to spend a fortune. Hardly any of us are set up to duplicate factory wiring harnesses in vintage equipment. You'd have to have a few different wire wrap tools and dozens of spools of wire on hand.
 
When you are dealing with a unit where someone has hacked up the wiring, there is only so much you can do, unless you want to spend a fortune. Hardly any of us are set up to duplicate factory wiring harnesses in vintage equipment. You'd have to have a few different wire wrap tools and dozens of spools of wire on hand.

I have everything it takes to make it factory - if I had the same harness material available.
Fun for me is getting as close as I can to OEM.
Right, it’s takes extra time.
 
Just making hacked up wiring look tidy again can be quite a feat. Putting back to factory is Herculean in some cases.
I generally settle for tidy.;)
 
Back
Top Bottom