Thought I’d post my afternoon's speaker cable experience here … just switched cables in my main system.
I have a bunch of speaker cables, mostly bought used, none really outrageous: original Monster, Canare 4S11, Kimber 4TC and 8TC, of course the usual assortment of Lowes’ specials, and some DH Labs T-14. I’ve been using the T-14 in a biwire setup in my main system, clearly my favorite of what I’ve got (2nd place would go to the Canare). Recently, I got some good deals on a pair of DH Labs Q-10 and a pair of Analysis Plus Oval 12’s. I had been looking for these because I like the T-14’s and the Q-10 are the next step in the DH Labs line, and Analysis Plus is recommended by the designer of my speakers (and used for some of their wiring).
So, today I replaced the T-14 with those: Q-10 on the bass, and Oval 12’s on the ribbons of my Newform speakers. The difference is surprisingly obvious, and though not objectively very big, subjectively important to me. Overall, the sound seems clearer, with quieter backgrounds. The biggest difference is on things like cymbals and the fade into background of sounds in quiet recordings. One consequence is that the depth of image seems better. Overall, well worth the roughly $200 I spent, and interesting just from the perspective of hearing clear differences in speaker cables.
Of course, there are a number of variables here: the new cables of are of larger gauge (10/12 vs. 14), shorter (6’ bass/8’ treble vs. 12’), and the Analysis Plus has a different geometry and type of insulation than the DH Labs. I would not claim to know why there’s a difference, but I’m happy.
I have a bunch of speaker cables, mostly bought used, none really outrageous: original Monster, Canare 4S11, Kimber 4TC and 8TC, of course the usual assortment of Lowes’ specials, and some DH Labs T-14. I’ve been using the T-14 in a biwire setup in my main system, clearly my favorite of what I’ve got (2nd place would go to the Canare). Recently, I got some good deals on a pair of DH Labs Q-10 and a pair of Analysis Plus Oval 12’s. I had been looking for these because I like the T-14’s and the Q-10 are the next step in the DH Labs line, and Analysis Plus is recommended by the designer of my speakers (and used for some of their wiring).
So, today I replaced the T-14 with those: Q-10 on the bass, and Oval 12’s on the ribbons of my Newform speakers. The difference is surprisingly obvious, and though not objectively very big, subjectively important to me. Overall, the sound seems clearer, with quieter backgrounds. The biggest difference is on things like cymbals and the fade into background of sounds in quiet recordings. One consequence is that the depth of image seems better. Overall, well worth the roughly $200 I spent, and interesting just from the perspective of hearing clear differences in speaker cables.
Of course, there are a number of variables here: the new cables of are of larger gauge (10/12 vs. 14), shorter (6’ bass/8’ treble vs. 12’), and the Analysis Plus has a different geometry and type of insulation than the DH Labs. I would not claim to know why there’s a difference, but I’m happy.