• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A tribute to Astrud Gilberto

BilboBaggins

Addicted Member
This morning, I woke up to a new world. One without the singer who brought Bossa Nova to the masses. Yes, Astrud Gilberto has gone to join with her husband.

I decided I would play her music as a tribute. I started with The Shadow of Your Smile, and moved through my fairly good selection of music by Astrud Gilberto, morphed over to Astrud and Joao, and then over to Gabriela with Gal Costa doing Joao Gilberto songs, and then of course, Stan Getz on sax!

What an impressive collection of music!

IMG_7092.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
She left this world a better place. :beerchug:



Streaming this now as I type. Never heard it before. What a beautiful voice and excellent recording. Thanks for the tip.

Well said!

I work with a Brazilian woman, and I sent her and my boss the picture I posted above and I titled it a Tribute to Astrud Gilberto. She didn't clue in to what that meant until last night and she was thunderstruck! :(

I think I was into Bossa Nova and Astrud Gilberto around the same time I got into the Beatles. One of my earliest music favourites along with Calypso, Reggae, and Lambada.

I don't think I have heard "I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do"

I'll look it up!

I think my favourite out of the lot I listened to was Astrud Gilberto / Walter Wanderley – A Certain Smile A Certain Sadness

IMG_7097.jpg

I listened to it today just before I finished work. This is from my office system.
 
Last edited:
This morning, I woke up to a new world. One without the singer who brought Bossa Nova to the masses. Yes, Astrud Gilberto has gone to join with her husband.

I decided I would play her music as a tribute. I started with The Shadow of Your Smile, and moved through my fairly good selection of music by Astrud Gilberto, morphed over to Astrud and Joao, and then over to Gabriela with Gal Costa doing Joao Gilberto songs, and then of course, Stan Getz on sax!

What an impressive collection of music!

View attachment 2905279
Hi I have that Record in my collection too
 
It was another day of Bossa Nova. Today I played the four LPs I got from discogs (very disappointed) and then moved back to Bossa Nova. I think that Stan Getz / João Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim – Getz / Gilberto is my favourite Bossa Nova album. The combination of Getz on sax, Joao Gilberto, and Antonio Carlos Jobim is very special.

Getz Gilberto.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom