Mike Nassour
New Member
First of all, thanks to everyone for the welcomes!
I'm going to have a look at the 1229 come Tuesday and will more than likely get it as it's been refurbished by a local tech who has done wonderful work in the past.
As for the 681, I think I'd really like to stay with it. It may be a case of it's just what I'm "used to
", but that doesn't mean I don't like the Shure alternatives. My ears grew up with a M91ED, and the V15 was always the unattainable one during those years in college. But the Stanton has always seemed to be a nice match for my various amps and the Advents they power. Hopefully, I'll have a call on this by Wednesday.
The only reason I was considering the Shibata over at LP Gear was that I might...some day...think about getting back into CD-4. Yes, I know it's beyond obsolete, a dead technology and frankly, not the best sounding audio, but it is kind of cool to demonstrate to folks. Then, I saw the price of the stylus. Yikes, $186 versus $86 for the eliptical? I don't know if the $100 up charge is worth it for something I might do...later.
Anyway, I genuinely appreciate everyone's thoughts here. It's rare to find a place like this where you can have an informed conversation about audio (or for that matter, any topic these days) without a lot of...well, you know.
Mike Nassour
I'm going to have a look at the 1229 come Tuesday and will more than likely get it as it's been refurbished by a local tech who has done wonderful work in the past.
As for the 681, I think I'd really like to stay with it. It may be a case of it's just what I'm "used to
The only reason I was considering the Shibata over at LP Gear was that I might...some day...think about getting back into CD-4. Yes, I know it's beyond obsolete, a dead technology and frankly, not the best sounding audio, but it is kind of cool to demonstrate to folks. Then, I saw the price of the stylus. Yikes, $186 versus $86 for the eliptical? I don't know if the $100 up charge is worth it for something I might do...later.
Anyway, I genuinely appreciate everyone's thoughts here. It's rare to find a place like this where you can have an informed conversation about audio (or for that matter, any topic these days) without a lot of...well, you know.
Mike Nassour
Last edited: