• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Absolute Gems. Vintage Pioneer Monitor 10 headphones refurb.

mccuskerkt

Active Member
Picked these up on a whim from @sinnerboy in very good condition—just needing a detailing.


Pioneer Monitor 10s were designed and engineered by people that know what they were doing. Heavy and well built, Monitor 10s consist of steel, aluminum, leather and plastic.


They sound so good. When you listen to the Pioneers, you’re hearing what Richard Dashut heard at the console when producing Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors. You’re in the booth with him smoking cigarettes and everything is tan and brown and shirt collars are unnecessarily large because it’s the 70s.

Bass is there, It’s scientific-instrument accurate and very deep, there’s just not a ton of it, and you know what? That’s fine, they’re headphones, good bass is visceral, you can feel the impact, and even bassy headphones can’t completely recreate that.

The 10’s take the rest of the audio spectrum and blow it out of the water. Sound through these headphones is accurate. If the track was well recorded, it will sound phenomenal on these phones. If it wasn’t, you’ll notice. Very very enjoyable unit. They are fairly efficient too. They get loud enough on an Iphone’s 1mv output but do benefit from an amp with a bit more heft.

Anyway, my set did need a bit of sprucing up. New ear pads and a deep clean. Also featured is a hilariously long and complex set of adapters needed to connect these to my iPhone.

Here’s photos.


Adapt and overcome. Also I’m toying with the idea of putting a 3.5mm cable maybe with phone control buttons? Maybe removable cables? Just an idea.




Old pads were very flat and very sticky. New velour. Luxury living.


I had some adhesive from a recent woofer recone, it stays flexible but provides a strong bond. It should peel off fairly easily when the new pads need replaced.



New velour. It’s like a hug for your head.


Before and after the leather clean and conditioning



Handsome set. Peak Pioneer if you ask me

Pioneer knew what the heck they were doing in the 70s.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've never really heard anything other than what I have in my signature. To be honest I haven't spent too much time in the Monoprice cans yet. Only had them for two days before the Audio-Technica arrived and took over. Lol.
 
Glad those are working for you! They are definitely some kick-ass looking speakers, worthy of some refurbishing!
 
Sometimes I tuck projects away, but I don’t forget about them. I was able to finish this project up today and I am very happy with the results. I replaced the failing (and gross, and tangly) “no tangle” (Pioneer’s words, not mine) cable with some very nice, Japanese made Mogami cable. I also replaced the jack with a nice amphenol 3.5mm connector so I can plug these in to my IPad or laptop without using an adapter. These cans are much more enjoyable now that I can listen to them without having to hold the jack in just the right position to get them to work! Anyway here are some photos. Thanks for watching! Glad to have you along.


753FCF4E-0CB9-4BD2-9505-10406E5365A3.jpeg
1A90D924-77B2-4678-8E4C-45B9AA41EA77.jpeg
Old and busted.

3D63FAED-37E4-4E7C-A019-94E6FF708C1A.jpeg 5F0EC918-E520-489A-9BE4-44C67FFF14D2.jpeg 3377F6B7-8A56-4001-B9E8-0A3576CE999B.jpeg
New hotness. Also the velour ear pads are super comfortable but they kinda pick up every fuzzy thing they come into contact with.
 

Attachments

  • 9DA0C8EE-C258-473F-BADC-501CAA8397E2.jpeg
    9DA0C8EE-C258-473F-BADC-501CAA8397E2.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 17
Where did you get the velour ear pads from ? I have the same headphones, and they could do with an upgrade in the comfort department.

Mr Relish
 
Yeah, been dragging mine around since 1979 like a dead relative. Bought them new in Okinawa 1979 as a kid in the Marine Corps. $40 at Main Exchange. Highs are great, bass just a bit lacking. Overall a great headphone. Never opened mine up due to problems. But did have to replace ear pads a few years back. Listening to now "LOUD" since in a good mood........ I'm sure better choices 44 years later. But oh well. I still dig mine.
 
Back
Top Bottom