• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acarian Alon 4 vs Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MKii

qguy

Super Member
Currently using an Acarian Alon 4 with a 15 inch Rythmik sub. Would the Dynaudio partnered with the same sub be an upgrade or just a different flavor. I am actually pretty happy with the Acarian and Rythmik combo, just curious if anyone would have experienced with the two speakers. Dynaudio is for sale is near me, but no audition allowed due to covid, but the owner is giving a week warranty.
 
Register to hide this ad
To be honest, you are comparing a much bigger newer model dynaudio speaker to a more than 20 year old Alon
Now renamed NOLA. Alon 4's. The 4's are a great little speaker. Imaging is fantastic.
I hope you have them way out into the Room very close to you with little toe in, with High quality electronics.
If you have a big enough room the 1.8's would be better. in a small room stay with the Alon's.
 
Not sure what Alon speakers you are talking about, but the Alon 4 are 105 lbs each with 12 inch woofers in a 4 foot tall enclosure.

To be honest, you are comparing a much bigger newer model dynaudio speaker to a more than 20 year old Alon
Now renamed NOLA. Alon 4's. The 4's are a great little speaker. Imaging is fantastic.
I hope you have them way out into the Room very close to you with little toe in, with High quality electronics.
If you have a big enough room the 1.8's would be better. in a small room stay with the Alon's.
 
Not sure what Alon speakers you are talking about, but the Alon 4 are 105 lbs each with 12 inch woofers in a 4 foot tall enclosure.
Yes I will apologize calling them small.
Back then and even today compared to my only 15" woofer speakers,
they are much smaller. I had thought they had 10" woofers.
Based on the fact they do have 12" woofers, and my very fond memory of them.
Keep them, instead of getting the Dynaudio's, upgrade with better electronics.
Maybe some Room treatments.

A Very funny story, when I bought my JBL 4343's,
the guy that sold them to me, was selling the JBL's, because
He liked his new Alon 4's better. they imaged better and were more refined.
All true! But the JBL's do some things that the Alon 4's can never do.
like playing at concert levels with no stress, or distortion.
With a 50 wpc tube amp
 
Last edited:
funny, I had JBL L112 before the Alons. I thought these were one of my "forever speakers", until the Alons came along, the JBL were sold for the same reason you mentioned below. I have a small room, I can do concert levels with my solid state 50 watts Class A Amp. Tried 35 watts, push pull El34 amp, sounded good, but lacked a little something to push those woofers, Maybe I should start looking at a 50 watt tube amp instead of new speakers...


A Very funny story, when I bought my JBL 4343's,
the guy that sold them to me, was selling the JBL's, because
He liked his new Alon 4's better. they imaged better and were more refined.
All true! But the JBL's do some things that the Alon 4's can never do.
like playing at concert levels with no stress, or distortion.
With a 50 wpc tube amp
 
Not just any 50 watt tube amp!!!
in fact other than my Modded 70 watt Fisher 55a's Triode run Kt90's
my other amps Cit2 and Fairchild 260's are switched to run in Triode.
far more revealing, with a bigger soundstage. all be it not at concert levels.
But!!! I run Horns, different than Alons
Then there's this; My good friend who modded his and one of my Cit 2's
Does use a triode run again with KT90's a Cit 2 on more modern Mid size Nola's.
and the sound is fantastic.
But this thread is on speakers not amps, just saying!

If you want you cam PM me for a more modern amp recommendation
I helped my friend get, who bought my Alon Lotus's
 
Last edited:
I have the little brother alon II’s. I have the best of both worlds in the power dept. I run them on a ARC D-70mkii tube amp usually. When I wanna air them out I hook them up to my bryston monoblocks 7b’s. It’s good to have options!
 
Back
Top Bottom