• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Accuphase e-202 vs e-305

oberheimer

New Member
I'm on the way to buy a new amp and yesterday i had a chance to listen to the e-305. That amp sounded amazing but how does the e-202 sound compared to the e-305?
The e-305 has more power but not phono stage... I think think the e-202 looks really good and better for my budget so i can spend more on a better tt or new speakers.
What are your thoughts.

To a completely different amp Coplan CTA 402, how does that sound?
Not sure i'm into valve but would be nice to know your thoughts
 
Register to hide this ad
You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with either of the Accuphase amps. The E-202 will likely need restoration to perform best, and would be my choice based on looks alone. Love the quality classic look of them.
 
Yes true i have seen one e-202 for sale here for about $440 in working condition except that 2-3 power connectors are missing (on the back) would be nice to have thoose...
It's been for sale for a while and to pricy imo
Not sure what his lowest price is. I guess i will continue to look, or make an offer.
How much does a complete restoration cost. Will try and do some of it myself
 
Last edited:
That price is really not that bad if it looks decent and works. The AC receptacles can be replaced. I'd jump at $400.

As to the restoration, I'd say around $500-$600 would be about right. That $1000 into it will get you something that several thousand won't touch...

I do not recommend you do one of these yourself without having any previous experience. It takes a mid to high skill level to work on these and get the proper outcome.
 
E-202 for $440 is not bad depending on what it needs. The variable damping factor switch on the back panel is the best feature, IMO. Of all the solid state amps I have heard, the E-202 captures more tube sound than any of the others. Get the E-202 AND the E-305. You can't go wrong with Accuphase.
 
i'm only going to buy one. I'm also trying to find one with min scratches or no scratches at all. So it sounds more like a tube amp or (the e-202)?
Yes i will try and do most of the restoration myself. I have seen e-202 sell for just over€1000 but in a very good condition and no scratches. I'm also not going to sell it thats why i need to 100% sure that it's the right amp...
 
The E-305 should have a phonoamp for both MM and MC-carts as I remember. It is the better performing of those and into a 4 Ohm load would have about twice the power output.

A Copland CTA-402 is a very nice amplifier to if you like tube amps and don´t need more power.
 
Well the e-305 have 4ohm load: 180 W/ch
and the e-202 have 4ohm load: 140 W/ch
True there should be phono on it (e-305)...
I'm still debating if it's worth the extra $ for the e-305
Will see if i can find any e-202 to listen to, the sooner the better as i need an amp soon so
 
Have owned a e-202 for about 5 yrs it's not going anywhere soon simply love it. If you seek out some online reviews the 202 shines in all of them. I have never heard the 305 so I am no help but there Accuphase you can't really make a bad choice
 
Well the e-305 have 4ohm load: 180 W/ch
and the e-202 have 4ohm load: 140 W/ch
True there should be phono on it (e-305)...
I'm still debating if it's worth the extra $ for the e-305
Will see if i can find any e-202 to listen to, the sooner the better as i need an amp soon so

Thats what the specifications says. The real output is around 160 for the E-202 and close to 300 for the E-305.
 
I would get the newest Accuphase you can. I have an e303x which is a really great integrated, and has been restored, but still a bit dated sounding in the preamp section compared to my newest gear. A friend had an e-202 and said it was even a bit more veiled compared to the 303x.

Which is my way of saying get the 305. The 303's phono stage is nice but nothing extraordinary. The 305 has a phono stage according to what I've read. It looks internally close to the quality, if not better than, the 303x. I would pick my 303 over a 202 any day of the week, just going by what friends have said who've had the 202.
 
Last edited:
It really is hard to go wrong with an E-202, though as mentioned there will probably be a some renovations needed to get the best form it at this point in time. They look great, sound wonderful and are easy to match to a wide variety of speakers.
 
Back
Top Bottom