• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Accuphase E-202 weird right channel behavior

wiedhas

New Member
New to me E-202. This amp has low hours - boards show very minimal heat damage. Almost all caps check within spec. Replaced one each main drive board. Took it off dim bulb and got bias and offset dialed in spot on.

When listing to music however, I get scratchiness from the right channel moving the volume. I swapped main drive boards and same result on right channel. Went to main in and the problem is gone. Thinking it was a bad volume pot, I exercised it 100 times or so and still same issue. Right channel drops out completely or very low volume then maybe pops back on. I was poking around with a chopstick and moving boards etc. Brought it close to the volume pot and could hear a humming coming from the speaker as I brought the stick closer to the right side volume wires. Tapping on the wire I could hear it through the speakers.

Any ideas what this could be? Bad connection from pot to tone board?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello. It could be a bad connection (broken solder, dirty switch, something at the pre-out main-in) among many other things. You could check the resistance from different points to ground (UNIT UNPLUGGED FROM ELECTRICITY, CAPACITORS DISCHARGED), for example from the volume potentiometer pins to ground, both channels should match. If you find a difference, you could start narrowing the problem around that point. Also, I'd exercise every switch and selector 50 to 100 times, specially those you never move, selectors at the back of the amp, and so.
 
Thanks Elnaldo I’ll give that a try.

I tried tapping on the relay and no noise. It’s comes out of protection no prob. But it could probably use a clean too. I’ll report back.

Wanted this amp for a while. It’s sweet
 
Update: Reflowed all connections at volume pot and where volume lands on the push button board. Tried to clean volume pot twice. Slight scratching still there. Left power meter is normal right is 30-40% less. So right gang volume pot track is damaged?

Is there a way to take the pot apart and clean more throughly? I’m guessing these pots are impossible to source but I am in Tokyo so maybe there are some kicking around. any other troubleshooting I can do to narrow down the issue?
 
Back
Top Bottom