• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Accuphase P-20, opinions?

virak

Save the vinyl!
I've been looking for a poweramp for my Kenwood 700C preamp, and now I have the opportunity to buy an Accuphase P-20 (actually 3!), so I need some guidance. Anyone have any experience with these amps?

I had kind of decided on the P-300 (or the 700M, of course), but the dual mono construction of the P-20 is very tempting, eventhough it's only 70wpc, vs the 150wpc of the P-300 :scratch2: Anyone heard both?

http://www.accuphase.com/p-20_e.htm#
http://www.accuphase.com/historys/cate/p-20en.pdf
http://www.accuphase.com/p-20_sp.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Those are cool looking little amps. I have the P-250 and have been very pleased with it. I also had the E-202 integrated(same amp as the P-250) and was very pleased with it.

If you don't mind the lower power then I'd say go for it as anything by Accuphase can't be bad.(If there is an extra outta the three let me know :) )
 
I have never had one but the guys here that have Accuphase equip. all speak very highly of it. :yes:
 
My advise would be that listen at home to these before buying if You aren´t familiar with how they sound. I have not listened to these but several others, and I also have a couple of Accuphase presently. Unmodified they are not everybody`s cup of tea.
/gusten
 
My advise would be that listen at home to these before buying if You aren´t familiar with how they sound. I have not listened to these but several others, and I also have a couple of Accuphase presently. Unmodified they are not everybody`s cup of tea.
/gusten
I doubt it's possible to hear them before I buy, but I have an E-302, and a buddy has an E-204, and I really like them both.

Hmmm... :scratch2:
 
Well, if you can't have the sister to your preamp (the 700M) you can sure have a cousin!

The Accuphase gear is beautifully built, and as explored on other threads around the site, many of the engineers responsible for Kenwood's Supreme series are the very same ones who designed the Accuphase gear of this vintage.

I'd say go for it, but be sure to give that amplifier a good servicing...any 30+ year old piece of gear is sure to need a little restoration!

Can't wait to see some pics!
 
Congrats!

I came across lots of positive things and comments about Accuphase when I was researching a new amp for myself.

This should be some very high quality gear.
 
Well, the deal is made! Nudies will be posted when I've received them ;)
Congrats virak. :thmbsp:

When you've had a chance to listen to them at length,please post your impressions.:yes:
What amp will they be replacing? :scratch2:
 
virak,
The fact of your being both a 700C owner and an AKer,means I can safely assume that you've read the posts here on AK about the EchoWars modifications for the 700C.
I will emphasise that improvements at the preamp level,have a flow-on effect of 'enabling' the performance of a power amplifier(by removing a 'performance-bottleneck' upstream of the power-amp).
The EW mods should be considered essential by owner's of 700Cs(especially those who live in Nth America).
 
Back
Top Bottom