• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ACOUSTAT 1+1 help please WHAT TO LOOK FOR BEFORE BUYING

HARDGRAVES

New Member
HI ALL:

I have a line on a pair of Acoustat 1+1's fitting my meager budget.

socks are kitty worn at the bottom.

has the 121-2a transformers

Any hints or kinks to look for before taking the plunge?

DCR ohm readings should be ????? AND at what points.?

Any problems with them flexing in transport and doing damage.?

thanks for your kind patience.:D

HARDGRAVES
 
Register to hide this ad
The best thing with Acoustats is your own ear. Listen for pops and crackles usually indicative of dust on the panels. If you have channels dropping, you could have transformer issues in the modules. If the price is right grab them- all can be rebuilt by Roy. Excellent, excellent speakers. Did I say excellent speakers?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
guess we have a bad connection
It sounded like you said EXCELLENT speakers but it wasn't quite clear

:-D

thanks for your thoughts , appreciated
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All electrostatics should be vacuumed periodically. I suggest 6 months. If you test them and they drop in volume then there is likely damage to the Mylar. I prefer to vacuum them then test them. That keeps you from damaging them.

No, this is not just opinion. I used to repair Infinity SS-Is for Infinity in the Atlanta Metro area in the 70s. If you allow dust to cause an arc from the grid to the Mylar, then the Mylar is damaged. There will be a hole in it. And it will arc from the grid to the Mylar at lower volumes.

In that there is a hero out there that can repair the panels I would say go for it if it is in your price range. I wish someone could repair my midrange drivers in my SS-I panels. Damn, I miss them! ! ! !

Unsubscribed. PM me if you have questions.
 
Last edited:
I've owned Acoustats since 1983. I've never heard of a panel failure caused by arcing. Some of the components in the interface boxes can go bad. As long as it's not the transformers they can be replaced.

Sustained play at high volumes will stretch the diaphragms. After vacuuming Acoustat panels go over them with a hair dryer. This will tighten up the diaphragms. I do both (vacuum and tighten) about every six months.

hatrack71 is right. They are excellent speakers. I have two pair. I'm keeping both pair. I'm looking for another pair of Model One's.

Did I say, "they are excellent speakers"? They are excellent speakers.

I know that Infinity Servo Statiks were prone to arc and burn through. AFAIK this has never been a problem with Acoustats. I got this information from Andy Szabo, ex Acoustat engineer.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom