• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acoustic Research AR-2A Rebuild

Nice job on the restoration. I picked a pair of AR2A's recently at an estate auction for $70. They are in amazing cosmetic condition. Raw wood cabinets and hardly any blemishes or dents.The mids and tweeter were not working so I pulled the woofer cleaned and reinstalled the pots but the sound was not what it should be and still scratchy when adjusted. I ordered new pots, sealant and doping material and will start that today.

I have a question for you, did you reuse the old insulation? Also what did you use to cover the back of the woofer? The olds material that was there was pretty brittle when I pulled it out.
 
Last edited:
Nice job on the restoration. I picked a pair of AR2A's recently at an estate auction for $70. They are in amazing cosmetic condition. Raw wood cabinets and hardly any blemishes or dents.The mids and tweeter were not working so I pulled the woofer cleaned and reinstalled the pots but the sound was not what it should be and still scratchy when adjusted. I ordered new pots, sealant and doping material and will start that today.

I have a question for you, did you reuse the old insulation? Also what did you use to cover the back of the woofer? The olds material that was there was pretty brittle when I pulled it out.
Glad to hear another pair has been saved! I did reuse the insulation. The material behind the woofer in mine was still in good shape so I reused that as well. If yours is too tattered to reuse, I would run down to a craft store and see if you can find some similar type material. To be honest though, I think all that was used for was to keep any of the insulation from getting into the woofer. You should post some pics, would love to see it!

Cheers,
Jared
 
wonderful restoration to them
I have a pair of AR 25's ONE needing a tweeter and am looking at restoration / modernization (a better grill cover then the foam ones) but have NOT started on them at all
 
Pics

Here are a few pictures of the AR2A's and I am in the process of rehabbing them. I am glad I found this thread, it has already been a big help. I do not plan on refinishing or sanding the cabinets. I like the old look and the "historical" patina. The date on the block stapled to the back is July 19 1963.

I lucked up on these actually. There was an estate auction here in town and they asked me to come out and verify some items that were in the auction. After I finished they let me look at what was to be auctioned. These speakers were hidden behind some new equipment stacked up in front of it and I just happened to see the cabinets and uncovered them. I had no idea what they were so I took a picture and googled them when I got back to the shop and I was like, I am going back tomorrow to bid on those. The bummer though is there was an HH Scott amp that sold before I got there. For 70 bucks I feel pretty good about the buy. Especially after a set on eBay went for over 400 the same day I bought these.:thmbsp:

BGLSKpa.jpg

m7n5o9P.jpg

CA1t8Hp.jpg

67p0ryY.jpg
 
firetruck, those 2A's are in great condition, and your decision to keep them raw is probably a good one. If the original liner material (sort of like tissue paper) behind the woofer is no longer usable, you can always substitute kitchen-grade cheesecloth at the same location, or maybe attach small sections of nylon screen over the holes in the back of the woofer basket.
 
Back
Top Bottom