• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acoustic Research AR-5 restore questions. Speaker padding/crossovers

Hardly ever see these AR-5, I had a pair long long ago back in the early 80s, they where blown and not knowing to much I bought all new drivers from rat shack. They still performed well for me up until the mid 90s and really I forgot where they went.
 
Last edited:
My pair of nominal 8-ohm AR-2ax uses essentially the identical woofer, and my notes from several years ago show readings of 6.1 and 6.6 ohms DCR - - both woofers are performing fine. In order to get a proper reading, you first need to disconnect the woofer from the rest of the speaker circuitry.
Ok if the setting in the pic of multimeter is correct, I got 7.0 on the first woofer once removed. Haven't got to the second one yet.
 
Your meter setting looks fine to measure up to 200 ohms, and 7.0 is higher than I measured but probably still just fine - - - compare it to the second woofer to confirm they are both in the same neighborhood.
 
Back
Top Bottom