• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acoustic Research Potentiometer Restoration Guide (VERY LONG, with photos)

Kudos to you on this fantastic guide! I only wish it was posted a year earlier. I wouldn't change a thing except maybe the redoping solution but there are usually many ways "to skin a cat".

Again, thanks
 
Tmad, first of all bravo for such a complete write-up... It is very informative and nicely done..

I do have a comment though and has to do with this statement.

DANGER. Permatex High-Tack 98 is a hazardous chemical. It will harm you if inhaled or if it gets on your skin. It IS necessary to use latex gloves AND a respirator mask when handling this chemical. I stupidly tried to use it without the respirator mask and nearly blacked out from the fumes. Please use your brain when handling this product.

Ok this is very true and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is your selection of respriator. The mask that you have shown in your tutorial is meant for dust particulates. To filter out the fumes you need something a little more complicated, a cartridge design with proper cartridge. Also you would be better off doing this part outside or in a garage where there is mucho ventalation. Below is a link for some of the products 3M offers, they are more expensive but do provide the proper protection.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...E3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=HCLKF8CQL5beF3RH7CD92Ngl
 
Excellent Write Up. Will do a lot to keep these gems in circulation.

As Roy noted that Permatex application is way too heavy and likely changed the F value permanently. It is better to do nothing than over treat the cloth surrounds. Wouldn't want to see anyone do that to AR 3 or 3a woofers :no:

I used rubber cement on first pair of 2AX's and Alene's on KLH 6's all from suggestions here. In hind sight I wish I hadn't. :no:

But other than that you have done AK proud! :yes:
 
Great tutorial! I have 2 pair of AR4x's. You've inspired me to restore 2 of the 4 speakers.

One pair was given to me by a friend who had them given to him by his father many years ago and they lived in a closet until he gave me them a couple of years ago. I was stunned to find that the pair he gave me both work well except (of course) the Pots and the woofer surrounds are leaky. I will clean them, probably replace the caps and seal the woofers. The cabinets are in pretty remarkable condition, so it'll be fairly easy to bring them back. These 2 will be my babies, likely paired with my Altec 714 Receiver, Teac A6010 and Dual 1218 TT. Should be a 70's match made in Heaven. :music:

As for the other pair, quite a completely different situation, got them at a garage sale in the rain for $5, one is complete and original but in bad shape, the other has been "fixed" by a hack that didn't know jack about them for real. No problem. As it turns out both tweets are separated from their frames and only one has the original woofer. The cabinets are pretty rough, maybe some sanding and a little patch work + finishing can make them respectable looking again. As for the drivers, I now have a spare woof and xover parts for the good pair and I also have the chance to do a Zilchification! He had several iterations that caught my attention long ago, here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2372603#post2372603

The original pictures of my thoughts for the AR4x's related to that post are here:

100_1652Large.jpg


100_1644Large.jpg


I used an Altec 604-8K xover to get an idea of the sound and liked it very much! :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the tutorial, I picked up a pair of 4x at a garage sale this weekend. The seller wanted $10 for the pair but when he took them off the shelf the grille fell off one and the screws were halfway out of the woofer. He told me to just take them and forget the 10 bucks. I tried the whole one last night and it sounded great! Looking forward to tinkering with the bad one.
 
I need a bit of help. There was a tag on the bad speaker cab that said "x over" and the wires to the tweeter had been desoldered. I held the wires on the terminals and got nothing, rotated the pot many times, still nothing. Went direct from amp to tweet (briefly) and got sound. Removed the pot and disassembled and it looks really good, nice shiny coil, no corrosion at all. The woofer seems to work fine.

I'd appreciate any tips to confirm that the pot is OK and any (easy) method to determine if the crossover is, in fact, the culprit as noted on the tag. I've read a dozen troubleshooting/ resto threads here on the 4x and most of them hit on the capacitor briefly, then veer off to the pots. To you pros a re-cap appears to be a no-brainer but I don't have a clue on how to replace my cap (and coil?) on the 4x. Any help is appreciated, I'd like to try to get this thing working instead of parting it.
 
Buy a new Dayton-brand capacitor of the same value from parts-express.com. Use the soldering tips in this tutorial to unsolder the old capacitor and solder the new one in. Might as well order two and replace the other one while you're at it.

If that doesn't do it, clean the pots anyway. They could be the culprit.

Then check every wire that leads to the tweeter, starting from the terminal plate on the back.
 
Don't touch the inductor. It's fine.

Leave the old capacitor in there, cut the wires going to it, and solder your new capacitor into the circuit. Done.
 
Thanx for this! I've got a pair of AR 2ax's and at least one of them definitely needs the pots cleaned. I've converted your tutorial to a .pdf and will have it by my side when I start my project.
 
Thanx for this! I've got a pair of AR 2ax's and at least one of them definitely needs the pots cleaned. I've converted your tutorial to a .pdf and will have it by my side when I start my project.

Glad you're finding it helpful. Would it be possible to maybe send me your PDF to my email (tmad40blue at gmail dot com)? I would love to have a "download this guide as a PDF" link in the original post.
 
I just wanted to thank tmad40blue for the excellent tutorial on cleaning up AR-4Xs. And yes, I sent him a PM with my thanks also. They have been tested and are functional, but not finished yet. I'm still thinking about a recap.

But there are differences between the two speakers, and I'm wondering what's the story behind that. I didn't notice anything internal that indicated any modifications or repairs.

One woofer has the ribbed cone, while the other is a stiff cardboard -- any thoughts? Any it feels that the one with the ribbed woofer is actually heavier, with fiberboard as opposed to plywood.

Also the tweeter edge on one is loose, any specifics on what to use to secure it better?

The SNs are quite different, so maybe that's why?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 105
I think Aileen's is good for your tweeter repair.

AR did great job keeping sound pretty equal with intra model changes so you should be OK. But try them on Mono and A/B to make sure.

Nice AR's :thmbsp:
 
But there are differences between the two speakers, and I'm wondering what's the story behind that. I didn't notice anything internal that indicated any modifications or repairs.

One woofer has the ribbed cone, while the other is a stiff cardboard -- any thoughts? Any it feels that the one with the ribbed woofer is actually heavier, with fiberboard as opposed to plywood.


The SNs are quite different, so maybe that's why?

There a were a number of different woofers used in the 4x. Some 4x's were not true "acoustic suspension" designs, and allowed for some leakage through the dust cap and surround....so slight response differences do exist.

Since this thread was started it should be noted that the application of such things as Permatex gasket sealant to 4x surrounds has been found not to be advisable.

Roy
 
Back
Top Bottom