• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acoustic Speakers of unknown origin

happyphace

New Member
I've been looking at some speakers on FB marketplace for a while, but I haven't been able to figure out the brand, model, or if it's actually worth it to get them. I'm sure they'd be better than what I have now, but it'd be nice to know what I'm actually buying. The attached images are from the seller's listing.
271584880_7119308978087111_6704371603690961049_n.jpg341034987_5457280277708012_3104979959690821174_n.jpg356151012_3505923616349677_2429705340439767040_n.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd give them a pass unless they're really cheap (like under $20). Based on the vintage of the upper three drivers, I suspect the woofers aren't original. And it's odd that they'd use a piezo as a mid-tweeter, since typically they can reproduce higher frequencies than a cone (those CTS cone tweeters are decent, though). Most likely designed by a marketing team first, and an engineer second.

At any rate, these were probably a "house brand" from one of the many audio retail stores that existed in the 1970s.
 
Save your money


 
I've been looking at some speakers on FB marketplace for a while, but I haven't been able to figure out the brand, model, or if it's actually worth it to get them. I'm sure they'd be better than what I have now, but it'd be nice to know what I'm actually buying. The attached images are from the seller's listing.
View attachment 2915776View attachment 2915777View attachment 2915778
The very top tweeter look like the tweeters I had on an old set of RCA two way speakers. Though I am only assuming that they were the original speakers. I saw them in a barn at a friend of an old girlfriends, I asked if he was selling them, he told me that I could have them.

That was back in the mid 80's and they were old and faded then, but they worked and was the first set of speakers I had that I didn't put together myself. Back then my putting a set of speakers together was a full range with a tweeter and a cap and the cabinets were tailored more towards what wood I could find than the parameters of the driver's.

I didn't have much to compare them to but I had them for several years as my only speakers With my Marantz 2215b. That's an old Infinity car speaker top left in a cobbled cabinet

Scan0057 Edit.jpg
 
Last edited:
The very top tweeter look like the tweeters I had on an old set of RCA two way speakers. Though I am only assuming that they were the original speakers. I saw them in a barn at a friend of an old girlfriends, I asked if he was selling them, he told me that I could have them.
Yes, those CTS phenolic ring tweeters were extremely common on 1970s speakers.
 
Yes, those CTS phenolic ring tweeters were extremely common on 1970s speakers.
The CTS phonelic ring tweeters are actually not bad (My shop Interaudio 1000 use them) but the rest of the speaker components are questionable.
 
I am pretty certain those are Criterion 4x speakers.
If you're talking about the ones in the OP, the only thing they have in common with the 4x is the fact that they're a 4-way design. Literally everything else is different.
 
If you're talking about the ones in the OP, the only thing they have in common with the 4x is the fact that they're a 4-way design. Literally everything else is different.

You’re right. I just did a better comparison and while they are definitely similar, those aren’t Criterions.
 
 
I think the above poster was spot on with these being a house brand. Either that, or white van specials. Having "acoustic" in the name and not being ARs makes me think white van.
 
Back
Top Bottom