• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acrylic mat?

cyto

Super Member
It seems that acrylic platters are quite popular but I don't really see much about acrylic mats.

I have a Technics SL1200M3D and am using a 1/4" rubber mat from KAB. I thought about getting a sheet of 1/4" acrylic and making a mat just to see how it works.

Anyone tried this?
 
Register to hide this ad
I used an acrylic mat with my Sony PS-X7 and liked the results. I tired it on my other tables--both belt drive--and didn't like it at all. Like so many things I think your experience will vary greatly based on a lot of factors including which way your sound "leans" now and which way you'd like to see any improvements go.
My favorite mat is a combination of either a felt or a foam layer topped by leather or deerhide. For me and my setups that's the ticket
 
This is the only acrylic mat I know of. The "B" side is super smooth that you can use it to set anti-skate according to the website.

I may buy one....not sure yet, prefer a US store. Also waiting for answer if it will fit my Music Hall platter.
 
I made a 5mm acrylic platter mat for my Thorens TD-160. Compared to some of the other platter materials I've used, the acrylic mat sounded more dark & veiled sounding. Right now I'm using a Technics SL-B3 platter mat turned upside down. This mat sounds the best I've tried on my TD-160.

Try flipping your Technics mat over and see if you like the sound better. On some Technics mats, the record doesn't lay flat. There's a lip on the edge of the mat that's raised up. Run your finger across it, you'll feel the lip, if it has one. With the mat flipped over, the record lays flat.
 
This is the only acrylic mat I know of. The "B" side is super smooth that you can use it to set anti-skate according to the website.

I may buy one....not sure yet, prefer a US store. Also waiting for answer if it will fit my Music Hall platter.

I have one of those SRM mats, in black. IMO it's better than rubber, but it's a little too hard and thin. I was hoping for a slightly different acrylic formulation, more like Delrin or methacrylate - Goldmund type.

I saw an expensive Delrin mat on the web a couple of years ago. I should have ordered it. Boston made carbon mats, but they stopped. Tough finding the right mat these days.
BTW, the SRM is 11.5" x 2mm.
Setting anti-skate with a blank surface is the wrong way to go about it IMO.
neo
 
I made one out of 1/4" acrylic for my SL-1200MK2 and it actually worked pretty good. The fact that I damped the underside of the platter with Dynamat Extreme after removing the stock Technics rubber damper may have had something to do with it tho' :scratch2:
 
As you get to a certain level of turntable performance and build quality as in your Technics the mfg has designed the table as a whole to perform very well carefully choosing the materials. I'v tried a few different aftermarket mats and to be honest heard no improvement in sound quality. My advice leave well enough alone and save your money for something where you will be guaranteed to hear an improvement in SQ like a cartridge upgrade, preamp upgrade etc.
 
One of my TT's has an acrylic platter. I've tried the ear test 4 ways:

1-Made a cork mat and tried it
2- Robbed a rubber mat from my parts bin
3- Felt mat that came with the table
4- No mat at all

The best I can say, after hours of intent listening to the same two albums, the "No mat at all" won out. So, now I go no-mat on the bare acrylic platter. I do not know what all this means, but if you get an acrylic mat, I'd like to know if it's an improvement. :)
 
Last edited:
Using a router with a circle cutting attachment and lots of oil to keep down the plastic dust & keep the router bit cool, this is what I made for my SL-1200. I didn't protect the surface of the acrylic and it got scratched so I wet sanded it (worked my way up to 1500 grit). That's what gave it the frosted look and I liked it and kept it that way.

LP's sounded clearer and sounded more open with the acrylic than with the rubber mat. Making one is a lot less than buying one. Also you might want to apply a bit of Vaseline to the bottom so it doesn't slip.

104_1250-L.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom