• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADC III cartridge - any info?

SpeakerLabFan

< speakerlab 7's
Hi all,

I picked up a turntable from a co-worker several years ago and now that it's coming out of storage I'm curious about what it is, and I'm hoping you have some info on this TT / cartridge. It's an Hitachi direct drive model HT-45 with an ADC III standard mount cartridge. The tracking is set to 1.0 grams.

Is this a very good phono cartridge or entry level? I did some web research and couldn't find this specific model. I'd probably replace with a decent $100 range cartridge such as an Audio Technica (any recommendations welcomed, years ago I owned a Stanton 681EEE cartridge which I liked), but I'm curious to know what exactly is this ADC III. thanks for any info, recommendations.
 

Attachments

  • ADC.JPG
    ADC.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 54
Register to hide this ad
Is there any other model qualifier on the cart, like QLM or XLM?

I use a XLM and it is a super nice cart.
 
My memory is that the very earliest ADC cartridges had model numbers like that, which would make them 40 or so years old. ADC helped to pioneer high compliance cartridges, and so even their early ones track at what is stil very low to low tracking forces, and so may seem plausible as users, but the two I had had dried up suspensions or some other problem -- they didn't sound good. You can tell if yours is one of these simply by looking at it - they have sort of rounded lump shapes, and the stylus is removed by grasping little metal flags visible from the bottom. They are encased in metal, gold on the top model and red on the other model I had.
 
I have an ADC 441LM cart and I can't find anything about it either. I did find a replacement Phansteil stylus for it for $28.00

I think a shibata type stylus was also available.

Why is there such little info on ADC carts?
 
Hi ZebraBlvd,

>>Is there any other model qualifier on the cart, like QLM or XLM? <<

Thanks for the info. The label above the stylus is "Series III" followed by "ADC" on a second line. I've attached a picture however I can't get a good close-up to view the labels with my crappy digital cameras.

Hi Nat,

>> You can tell if yours is one of these simply by looking at it - they have sort of rounded lump shapes, and the stylus is removed by grasping little metal flags visible from the bottom. They are encased in metal, gold on the top model and red on the other model I had. <<

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be surprised if this cartridge is 40 years. I don't see the features that you've described and this stylus doesn't appear to easily detach.

Hi Herbman,

>> Why is there such little info on ADC carts? <<

Yeah I saw some information on stylus replacement but not much else.

Thanks all - I noticed today that this Hitachi DC Servo Model HT-21 turntable is starting to make a rubbing noise - very annoying. I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a vintage turntable at the thrifts or CL (years ago I had a Technics belt-drive and a Garrard model), and then get a nice new cartridge.
 

Attachments

  • IMAGE_00053.jpg
    IMAGE_00053.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 69
SpeakerLabFan said:
Thanks all - I noticed today that this Hitachi DC Servo Model HT-21 turntable is starting to make a rubbing noise - very annoying. I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a vintage turntable at the thrifts or CL (years ago I had a Technics belt-drive and a Garrard model), and then get a nice new cartridge.

I can see why it's rubbing, it was turned the wrong way!

Try it like in the attached picture. :D
 
Last edited:
Go here and do a search. They may not have complete specs for each cartridge, but you can find the tracking force and stylus type.
 
ADC carts

ADC XLM III were very good sounding carts from the mid 70s onward. There were many reviews of the various models in High Fidelity, Stereo Review & Audio magazine during the mid to late 70s & early 80s.
 
SpeakerLabFan said:
Hi all,

I picked up a turntable from a co-worker several years ago and now that it's coming out of storage I'm curious about what it is, and I'm hoping you have some info on this TT / cartridge. It's an Hitachi direct drive model HT-45 with an ADC III standard mount cartridge. The tracking is set to 1.0 grams.

Is this a very good phono cartridge or entry level? I did some web research and couldn't find this specific model. I'd probably replace with a decent $100 range cartridge such as an Audio Technica (any recommendations welcomed, years ago I owned a Stanton 681EEE cartridge which I liked), but I'm curious to know what exactly is this ADC III. thanks for any info, recommendations.

Here's a link to the exact replacement stylus which clearly shows the lettering you described. It's a .3 x .7 stylus, so fairly decent cart, but probably not as good as the Stanton or AT. Also consider the Shure M97xE, considerably less than $100, but no slouch.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10610

BTW, that's a great site for looking up carts and styli, but don't leave your browser on that website. They keep track of addresses and will block you if they think you're a competitor trying to steal info.

The turntable is a direct drive (but not quartz lock), semi-auto. Plasticky and so probably not great, but certainly okay to start out.
 
I've been using an HT-40 for about a year now and it has been very reliable. It's very similar to the one pictured. I don't know if I can hear well enough to tell the difference anymore, but I thought it sounded fine. Unfortunately it became surplus last night when I found a Pioneer PL-518 with an ADC XLII at a thrift for $15. Today the Hitachi found a new home with my boss, who is thrilled to death with his new, streamlined, simple auto TT and is gonna give me the old Pioneer he "couldn't find a needle for". That Hitachi has my vote as a keeper-it's not real refined, but a good tough unit. Mine just had a cheapie AT cart from Best Buy on it.
Dan
 
hakaplan said:
Here's a link to the exact replacement stylus which clearly shows the lettering you described. It's a .3 x .7 stylus, so fairly decent cart, but probably not as good as the Stanton or AT. Also consider the Shure M97xE, considerably less than $100, but no slouch.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/inde...D&ProdID=10610

<snip>

The turntable is a direct drive (but not quartz lock), semi-auto. Plasticky and so probably not great, but certainly okay to start out.

Thanks hakaplan. Yes that link shows the exact ADC cartridge that that I have. I'll check out the Shure M97 xE. Yes, the turntable has a <Cut> button which, when pressed, lifts and returns the arm to rest and turns off the unit.

Thanks again for the information - it's good to know some background on what I have. And it will be nice to spend more time with my album collection.
 
Now that I see the picture, its obvious that it is not one of the early ADCs, which looked like circus peanuts or whatever those foam things are.
Tipping the table was an old trick to create antiskating force, but I think the first picture suggests you are going for too much antiskating.
 
ampegdan said:
Unfortunately it became surplus last night when I found a Pioneer PL-518 with an ADC XLII at a thrift for $15. Today the Hitachi found a new home with my boss, who is thrilled to death with his new, streamlined, simple auto TT and is gonna give me the old Pioneer he "couldn't find a needle for".
Dan, Congrats on the PL-518 and ADC.:thmbsp: Let us know what your boss's Pioneer turns out to be. I am amazed at all the people I encounter who still have turntables, but have gotten rid of all their records because they didn't have a needle anymore. As if the needle was part of the turntable and when it broke, the turntable ceased to work and was simply discarded. The same way my father-in-law gave me a lamp that didn't work--the problem? The bulb burned out. :)
 
I'm still amazed by the number of people who don't realize that the cart & all can be swapped out. I told the boss I could set up his old Pioneer with a cart from Best Buy and he'd be fine with easier stylus replacement (not an audiophile, mind you-two hearing aids as a matter of fact) but he liked that the Hitachi was ready to go. Or maybe he thought I said hibachi-who knows...
As for the PL-518, last night I was switching back & forth between it and the Fisher Studio Std. MT-6250....I don't know if my hearing is THAT bad now or if the differences between the two are negligible, but I can't tell much difference between 'em. They're just both so purty.....
Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom