• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADC integra xlmII arm compatibility

mltl

Member
I'm considering picking up a Kenwood kd-550 with the stock s-shaped tonearm.

I currently use an xlm mk2 with a rxm-II stylus (originally meant for an integra headshell). I have the integra headshell/cartridge as well, and if I were to get the kenwood, I would plan to use the integra headshell w/ the rxm-II stylus on the stock s-shaped arm.

I have had a lot of trouble finding the effective mass of the kenwood arm to see if the high compliance of the adc lightweight integra headshell/cartridge could mate well with it. I know its a "medium mass" arm, but have only read guesses/memories on here as to what the actual effective mass is. I have searched for examples of someone using the adc integra with the kd-550 arm, but to no avail. Most examples I see are adc integras on various technics direct drives. I'm curious if the technics arms (ie. 1200, 1800) are lower mass than this kenwood 550 arm, or if they're essentially the same mass-wise.

Another option would be to try the adc xlm cartridge on the stock kenwood headshell, but I am fairly certain this is a compliance mismatch based on my research, and that the integra would likely be a better match to keep mass as low as possible.

I also own an AT95e, which I bought before I knew what I had with the adc xlm. I know this would likely mate well with the kenwood arm, so that's an option as well. I do enjoy the adc sound so I would like to use one of those carts if possible with the kenwood.

It may sound like I have already answered my question, but I seek clarity on the kenwood stock arm specs and experience with this combo from others that have been around longer than I.

Thanks,
Max
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom