• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADC QLM 30 Mk III Tracking Weight?

akahn

Hi Enough
I just picked up a new turntable (a Pioneer PL-25, thanks JozMo!) and it came with an ADC QLM 30 Mk III cartridge. I want to use this cartridge at least temporarily, so I want to set it up reasonably well, so I need to know the tracking weight this cart is supposed to have. Does anyone know?
 
Register to hide this ad
I found specs for the QLM36 MKIII. The spec calls for 1.0 -1.5 grams. I'd probably use 1.5.

OK Edit time. Ignore my note above.
I found the specs for the QLM30MkIII. The suggested tracking force range is 3.0 -5.0 grams. It has a 0.7 mil spherical stylus. To my mind, this indicates a piece of crap that should be quickly replaced with something better, sorry.
 
Last edited:
Don C said:
I found the specs for the QLM30MkIII. The suggested tracking force range is 3.0 -5.0 grams. It has a 0.7 mil spherical stylus. To my mind, this indicates a piece of crap that should be quickly replaced with something better, sorry.
The QLM 30 was far from a piece of crap; it was a very fine-sounding cartridge for use in changers whose tonearm designs required a robust, heavier-tracking cartridge that wasn't overly fussy about alignment (I used one in a BIC 920). Most cartridge manufacturers of the time had a variety of models designed to suit different applications. That said, it should be quickly replaced with something for which fresh, new, original styli can be obtained.
 
Don C said:
I found specs for the QLM36 MKIII. The spec calls for 1.0 -1.5 grams. I'd probably use 1.5.

OK Edit time. Ignore my note above.
I found the specs for the QLM30MkIII. The suggested tracking force range is 3.0 -5.0 grams. It has a 0.7 mil spherical stylus. To my mind, this indicates a piece of crap that should be quickly replaced with something better, sorry.

I had a feeling this wasn't too nice of a cartridge. Since I was planning on passing this table along to a friend, I'll leave the ADC and recommend that he upgrade.
 
Back
Top Bottom