• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADC Sound Shaper One Mk II help/opinions?

Sethbramwell

Active Member
Hi, everyone... I recently picked up an ADC sound shaper one mark II at Goodwill. I have no experience with equalizers, and would like to know if anyone has any advice on connecting it, or opinions on this model. I seem to have found a lot of information on other models of the sound shaper systems but not this particular one.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

20170613_160448.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I generally don't recommend the use of 5 band EQs because there's not a whole lot of control there for fine tuning. However, that can certainly still be useful. You'd want to hook it into a tape loop if you have one.

ADC EQs are awesome. I have 2 myself and my dad has 3.
 
Thank you for your input! Do you mean hook the tape deck directly to the eq And the eq to my receiver amp?
No, I mean use the tape loop on your receiver if it has one (also often called a tape monitor). What receiver do you have?

If it doesn't have one, you could use the pre-out/main in jacks (if it has those). If it doesn't have either of those, you would connect the source(s) to the EQ then the EQ to the receiver (which is what you described).
 
No, I mean use the tape loop on your receiver if it has one (also often called a tape monitor). What receiver do you have?

If it doesn't have one, you could use the pre-out/main in jacks (if it has those). If it doesn't have either of those, you would connect the source(s) to the EQ then the EQ to the receiver (which is what you described).
Download a manual free from https://www.hifiengine.com/manual-library.shtml
 
Circa early 80's, I still have my ADC, a Thirty Three model. Mine nedes a De-Oxit Fader Lube bath. I am sure yours does as well.
 
I just checked it out on Google images. There is a tape monitor button, so that should work. It's sweet looking!

Thanks again for the advice! I connected it this morning with minimal trial and error and it's working beautifully!

Circa early 80's, I still have my ADC, a Thirty Three model. Mine needs a De-Oxit Fader Lube bath. I am sure yours does as well.

Not having any fader lube to hand, I did work the sliders with normal de-oxit when I was first cleaning it up (It was dusty as hell). I'm not hearing any interference or crackle with the sliders.
 
Hello, I’m working on one of these today and it has no output on EQ, only bypass, so I’m guessing it’s something wrong with the power supply. This unit is a little bit different from other models because the one I’m working on does not use a separate op amp for each band. There is a discrete summing/subtraction amplifier on the main board. This method creates less hiss because there is only one differential amplifier. The switches are crappy as well
 
Back
Top Bottom