Hey everybody, I've been doing car audio stuff forever but rarely wade into the depths of possibly broken vintage home stuff.
I bought this ADC Sound Shaper ss-412x because it was like $180 on eBay and I wanted to see what cool stuff it could do, but mostly for the spectrum analyzer (SA). The problem: the SA seemingly does nothing that actually corresponds to the music going into it, yet it still dances rhythmically across the spectrum.
I pause the music, it's dancing. I play the music, it's dancing the same way. I move the equalizer sliders up and down and it will only roughly correspond to raising and lowering what's on the SA. If I raise or lower the ATT slider on the far right, it will raise or lower the SA. But it'll do that even if there's no input playing through it at all.
I've tried all three of its inputs (line in, tape 1, tape 2). I've tried cycling all of the buttons. I've tried pretty much every combination of inputs and buttons on and off as possible. I have noticed that if I wiggle the jacks in the back that are connected to my source (the only RCA outputs on the back of my Onkyo HT R591 receiver are VCR out), then I can get the SA to turn on or off completely, which I imagine is a big clue.
I've opened this thing up and there are no visibly bad caps but good god do I not look forward to doing what's necessary to get at the solder under the circuit board attached to the input jacks if that's the problem. It's basically a "Step 1: remove everything."
Ideas? I really appreciate it.
I bought this ADC Sound Shaper ss-412x because it was like $180 on eBay and I wanted to see what cool stuff it could do, but mostly for the spectrum analyzer (SA). The problem: the SA seemingly does nothing that actually corresponds to the music going into it, yet it still dances rhythmically across the spectrum.
I pause the music, it's dancing. I play the music, it's dancing the same way. I move the equalizer sliders up and down and it will only roughly correspond to raising and lowering what's on the SA. If I raise or lower the ATT slider on the far right, it will raise or lower the SA. But it'll do that even if there's no input playing through it at all.
I've tried all three of its inputs (line in, tape 1, tape 2). I've tried cycling all of the buttons. I've tried pretty much every combination of inputs and buttons on and off as possible. I have noticed that if I wiggle the jacks in the back that are connected to my source (the only RCA outputs on the back of my Onkyo HT R591 receiver are VCR out), then I can get the SA to turn on or off completely, which I imagine is a big clue.
I've opened this thing up and there are no visibly bad caps but good god do I not look forward to doing what's necessary to get at the solder under the circuit board attached to the input jacks if that's the problem. It's basically a "Step 1: remove everything."
Ideas? I really appreciate it.