• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Adcom GFA-5802 4 speaker ohm load

3-way

New Member
When I 1st bought my 5802 I contacted adcom about the speaker outputs because they were labeled NORMAL & BI-WIRE. I was told by someone at adcom to look at it like A & B speaker outputs on other amps & that the BI-WIRE outputs could be used to drive an additional pair of speakers just like the NORMAL outputs.
But.... If a pair of 8 OHM speakers are connected to the NORMAL outputs AND a second pair of 8 OHM speakers are connected to the BI-WIRE outputs does that result in a 4 OHM LOAD on the amp? Are the 5802's NORMAL & BI-WIRE circuits wired in parallel?
Assuming the above is true, then I've been driving my 4 cornerhorns with 450 watts / ch, roughly 112 watts / speaker, which is OK but a little hard on the amp Correct?
Is there any way to connect four 8 OHM speakers to the 5802 that results in an 8 OHM load on the amp?
If I connect four 8 OHM speakers in series to only the NORMAL outputs (Amp Left (+) terminal to Speaker 1 (+), jumper wire from Speaker 1 (-) to Speaker 2 (+), from Speaker 2 (-) back to the Amp Left (-) that will result in a 16 OHM load on the amp, Correct?
 
Register to hide this ad
It's a beefy amp rated for 4 ohms, probably would handle 2 ohms just fine.

You are not hurting the amp using it at 4 ohms.
 
Putting speakers in series does not result in all the speakers seeing the same amount of power. There will be a voltage drop across the first one resulting in lower voltage at the second.

I've looked over the owners and service manual. And while I could not find it specifically stated, I think that you are correct and that the main and bi-wire outputs are in parallel.

The amp is made to and fully capable of driving a four ohm load. No need to worry.
 
Putting speakers in series does not result in all the speakers seeing the same amount of power. There will be a voltage drop across the first one resulting in lower voltage at the second.

I read it as four cornerhorn speakers which I presumed meant they're all the same.

On the presumption I presumed correctly ;) two of the same speakers in series should be close enough to say the power divides equally between the two.

If there are two different make/model speakers in series then I'd agree equal power division isn't inherently a reasonable presumption.
 
I’ve been inside mine and the speaker outputs are simply connected together.
That said I do biwire my B&W 801’s and the extra set of outputs makes it a lot easier.
 
Back
Top Bottom