• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

add on super tweeter ...who uses them & why?

kenhappen2u

Ken/N9QPE naperville il
i been wondering just how many people use add on or after market super tweeters on there speaker setup & why? i understand that they can be used to take away some of the load off the tweeter and bring back some of the highs they may be missing or not able to produce . but why would someone want to add a super tweeter to a pair of speakers that already sound good ,

i have a pair of super tweeters and i did notice a big differance when used on some vintage two way speakers but i just cant think of a reason to use them on anything other than a set of speakers that could use a little extra on the high end anyways .
 
Register to hide this ad
I would imagine just like you mention, because the highs they crave aren't there, so they add a little more.. kinda like the people that aren't happy with the lows, so they add a sub.... in the long run, I would imagine it to be a cheaper option to enhance what you feel you are missing, than to completely replace your speaker system.

Myself, I'd rather add a horn than a tweet... I have no desire to add any more highs, BUT, if I could find some sweet looking and sounding horns, yer damn skippy they're gonna be sitting on topa my stacks :D
 
Some folks add tweeters facing back and/or to the sides in an effort to add ambience to the speakers voicing. Some commercial speakers also have rear mounted super-tweeters for the same reason.
 
For me it started as just another silver piece I could add to my at the time all Realistic system nothing more than cosmetic. Then I got use to the added nuances to cymbals and the human voice.
Mach Twos have pretty good tweets but its just an added plus. If you were here I would let you hear what I mean.
Its kinda like having the super tweets that the HPM-100's have but the Realistics I use with the Machs you can actually hear.
I upgraded them with 100watt drivers versus the 50watt originals after blowing a third one. They sing great now and hope this pair won't blow!
Wanted to add a pair to my bedroom setup but thought that might be a bit much overkill seeing as both the HPM-100's and 200's all have super tweeters and the 200's you can hear also!:yes:

They add a nice 'ttsss' to cymbals and brings them out a bit more especially ones that are slightly buried in the background.
Human voice enhancements are also noticable. Added sss to 's' spoken words but not overly splattered or leading into de-essing territory (depending on recording). Brings the voice that much closer to giving you the impression that the vocalist is in the room with you.
Hard to explain on paper to anyone who has not herad them.:scratch2:
 
A lot of people put them on full-range drivers that have rolled-off or uneven highs. It's actually a DIY option I'm considering. You get most of the point-source advantages of a full-range drivers, plus the highs you'd be missing. Then maybe a subwoofer, or a woofer for each box? Interesting idea... not sure, though.
 
Also the fact that you can place them how and where you like as oppossed to fixed tweeters in a speaker cab.
Add-ons can be postioned just right to appeal to your individual tatse.:music::banana::rockon:

That really adds an additional plus factor.
 

Attachments

  • SuperTweet.jpg
    SuperTweet.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 89
  • lcy_100k.jpg
    lcy_100k.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 110
I've kept my eyes open for a set of Radio Shack 40-1310 super tweeters for a few years now. They were reportedly mfg. by Fostex.

I wouldn't mind hearing a pair combined with speakers with HF responses that fall off in the 16 to 17 kHz range, to add air and sparkle.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Drivers/40-1310/40-1310.htm



there is a pair hear on the bay ...http://cgi.ebay.com/REALISTIC-SUPER...yZ137944QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem



and there is another guy who has one (single ) one with a buy it now
 
Those tweeters were pretty cheap inside- we use to get so many returned and I used to line them up on the back shelf. They actually retailed at one point for $47.95 each just before they got dropped. On mach twos, they would vibrate and move backwards til they fell off the back and down behind the speaker display- ah, the good old days...
 
Back
Top Bottom