• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Add tweeters to my JBL C50 SR7's ????

Megaladoink

Active Member
So, i just bought a pair of JBL C50 SR7's and I am sooooo stoked. They are amazing.
But, because I am never satisfied, of course I would love some SR8's.....but I would totally be happy with just adding the bullet tweeters JBL 075's.

Was that an option the SR7's originally if purchased from JBL?

Would that take away from this units originality?

Is there a process to get all the components working in unison, like if the bullet was not being powered properly it could alter the overall sound.. as an example.

Or would it be recommended that I should wait until another set of (perfect) c50s but the sr8 version.

Like I said, I love these and they sound amazing and were purchased from original owners.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris
 
Register to hide this ad
Before you go adding Tweeters, the most common mod, listen to them a while. The 1" throat Le85's go way past 10Khz.
If I were you, I would read some of the most recent threads on modding L-200's, L-300' and S-7 Soverign/Olympus systems.
especially the X-overs, and Le15 woofers.
I would stay away from the 075 bullets
 
Before you go adding Tweeters, the most common mod, listen to them a while. The 1" throat Le85's go way past 10Khz.
If I were you, I would read some of the most recent threads on modding L-200's, L-300' and S-7 Soverign/Olympus systems.
especially the X-overs, and Le15 woofers.
I would stay away from the 075 bullets

Awesome thanks and I will look into those forums. Would you have an example link to point me in the right direction as Im new to JBL gear.

Any reason specifically to stay away from the 075 bullets?

Before these I had some Klipsch quartets and Ill be doing some listening tonight. Im powering these on Carver TFM-15cb's and a Carver CT17 preamp. I think soon I'll upgrade the carver gear and am looking for opinions there too. been looking at some local mac stuff of course but im sure the Carver gear will do the job.


Cheers,
Chris
 
From some older threads
Word of caution: Lansaloy
Second word of caution: 075

Top-of-the-Line back many decades ago. Lots more bang-for-the-buck in vintage and modern JBL today.
Variety of cabinets offered, some look good today, some don't.
Offered into the mid-'70s until JBL moved on to L300, etc. Of course, IMHO.

As others have stated, 075's kinda Hot, and very directional.
That's why the prices for the 077's and pro 2405's "with their Orig Diaphragms" Imperative!!! as they are unobtanium.
are double what 075's sell for. and then you have the additional X-overs that are needed for them
I will add the cheapest thing you can do to improve the sound, and it is Free
Tilt them up! I mean way up 2 2x4’s nailed together full with. Under the front
Warning any thing placed on top
Will come crashing down,
But the improvement is dramatic
 
Last edited:
From some older threads


As others have stated, 075's kinda Hot, and very directional.
That's why the prices for the 077's and pro 2405's "with their Orig Diaphragms" Imperative!!! as they are unobtanium.
are double what 075's sell for. and then you have the additional X-overs that are needed for them
I will add the cheapest thing you can do to improve the sound, and it is Free
Tilt them up! I mean way up 2 2x4’s nailed together full with. Under the front
Warning any thing placed on top
Will come crashing down,
But the improvement is dramatic
Uh.. wow.. I will try that... I got 2x4s up the wazoo.
 
From some older threads


As others have stated, 075's kinda Hot, and very directional.
That's why the prices for the 077's and pro 2405's "with their Orig Diaphragms" Imperative!!! as they are unobtanium.
are double what 075's sell for. and then you have the additional X-overs that are needed for them
I will add the cheapest thing you can do to improve the sound, and it is Free
Tilt them up! I mean way up 2 2x4’s nailed together full with. Under the front
Warning any thing placed on top
Will come crashing down,
But the improvement is dramatic
So one more question. I will be powering these with Carver TFM-15cb's. I do have two of them. So my question is, should I connect in Bridged mode. documentation says 300W. I guess is this something I want to do or just keep it in stereo and hookup as usual.?

Also should I start a new thread for that?

Cheers,
Chris
 
If you are going to add a ring radiator you want the 2405 JBL or later models. Much better extension and much flatter frequency response than the awful 075.
 
Back
Top Bottom