• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Admiral Solid State 80

sgarwood

New Member
Hello!

Has anyone run across an Admiral Solid State 80 receiver / amplifier in either a console or standalone? I'm looking for info, only finding bits and pieces of information. One ad I found suggests it is an 80 watt amplifier - don't know if that is per channel or total?

The pics are of a standalone - the front face lettering is positioned different from that of a console - so it isn't a pull from a cabinet from what I can tell...

Thanks

Steve
 

Attachments

  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 64
  • $_572.jpg
    $_572.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 56
Register to hide this ad
No, less than 15 watts/channel real RMS power. 80 watt rating was likely Peak Music Power Output. This model was available both fitted in consoles and as a standalone unit.
 
Even 15 watts at the old rating system will do OK. Need to dig further, it would be nice to find a SAMS folder on it - but I am not seeing anything using just Admiral Solid State 80 as the model number. Maybe a chassis number or something....
 
More information on this receiver - it is a model TM421 - chassis 24A3B. I have a SAMS folder on order for it. I have not powered it up yet, but it looks very clean.

Wondering now if Admiral had packaged any of their other console units as a standalone. This standalone version is the answer rather than gutting a console out to do the same thing.

I would like to find information on a 1962 (or earlier?) tube version - dates back to one the family had since new that is gone now.....
 
The TM421 has been initially checked out - three new dial lamps and a check on the bench.

Works fairly well, but I'm having problems with the FM Stereo Multiplex circuit. The SAMS folder on this unit doesn't match completely, making it a bit of a challenge since some parts don't match.

This is a interesting piece of nostalgia, looks to be around 1966 vintage. I didn't know that Admiral packaged this as a standalone receiver until I saw this one. Just not alot out there on the Admiral units.....
 

Attachments

  • image1 - Copy.jpg
    image1 - Copy.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 28
I just replaced the MPX lamp with the prescribed #1302 bulb. Multiplex light function is restored. The #1844 that was in there didn't work. Current rating of the lamp is critical.

Next step is to check the circuit with the scope to see if it's really working.....

Steve
 
Hello!

Has anyone run across an Admiral Solid State 80 receiver / amplifier in either a console or standalone? I'm looking for info, only finding bits and pieces of information. One ad I found suggests it is an 80 watt amplifier - don't know if that is per channel or total?

The pics are of a standalone - the front face lettering is positioned different from that of a console - so it isn't a pull from a cabinet from what I can tell...

Thanks

Steve
Currently refurbishing an 80 console. It’s 15w internal per channel. Luckily everything works on this unit after cleaning all the tubes and contacts. Will be replacing the old outdated paper cones with more modern speakers and installing a new amp.
 

Attachments

  • C9E33BA9-6A3B-4EA6-A295-11148E3EAAC9.jpeg
    C9E33BA9-6A3B-4EA6-A295-11148E3EAAC9.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 72F45DFF-7C0D-491F-8937-C8061E2BD411.jpeg
    72F45DFF-7C0D-491F-8937-C8061E2BD411.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom