• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ads l-690's

will d

Active Member
Picked them up yesterday to use as rears in a 5.1 system with an l-710 as a center channel speaker and the l-630's as fronts. But looking at the tweeters on the 690's, they are shiny black like the tweeters on my ads mv-10c and my ads b-7's. Not like the sticky domes on the l-630's and the l-710. No gold wires from the tweeter housing into the tweeters. I've already discovered that I don't like the sound of those tweeters compared to the older sticky domes. So i'll give them a try, but I think i'll use either the l-300e's or my l-570's as rears. I've already tried mixing the m series in the mv-10 c with the l series speakers and to my ears the l series tweeters sound more brilliant. So I wonder if a previous owner changed the tweeters. Not sure, any input would be appreciated. Best regards, Will D.
 
Register to hide this ad
Could be the later polymer dome type, vs. the original sticky fabric domes. If so they'll be a little more subdued, but very smooth...

Picture of the front & back would help ID them. 206-0126 is a common model though.

John
 
Could be the later polymer dome type, vs. the original sticky fabric domes. If so they'll be a little more subdued, but very smooth...

Picture of the front & back would help ID them. 206-0126 is a common model though.

John
Thank you for your response, I will absolutely take some pics tomorrow. And as you read in my thread, you said it perfectly, subdued but very smooth. The mv-10c is very articulated on movie dialogue, and the b-7's meld very well with the mv-10c. I guess i'm just aggravated with myself for not being able to control that urge to buy. Just wanted to try larger rear speakers as I like to listen to the mancave system in 5 channel stereo, and the l-300's are great rears. So in closing, I'm just going to go into the wonderful world of experimintation and find out if the l-300's or l-570's or the 690's will be the blend i'm looking for. Thanks for your response, Will D.
 
FWIW, my HT system has the older fabric domes on the rear surrounds (C400i/s) and the polymer domes in the LCR front speakers: HT400LCR center and pair of prototypes built with HT800iw drivers. The HT-series use that same polymer dome, just mounted in a custom injection-molded plastic housing that becomes part of the front baffle. I don't have any problems with the tweeters being different on the rear surrounds, but that's no surprise - having the front LCR voiced the same is more important than matching in rear surrounds, which rarely share the same content and aren't active in 2.1 music applications. I guess it could show up in multichannel SACD but if so I haven't been bothered by it.

John
 
Back
Top Bottom