• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L710 - Has anyone color matched the bronze metal grille?

Chris __R

Well-Known Member
Hi all - I will be receiving a pair of L710s with the bronze perforated metal grilles. The grilles have large areas of rust.
I'll be sanding them down and will need to repaint them.
There are alot of threads about trying to match paint colors - but nowhere have I found anyone say which product/color was used.
Has anyone had good luck with matching the bronze color of the grilles - and if so, what did you use?
Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Take one down to one of the better body shops or paint stores(not a big box)in your area, they should be able to match and mix you up a pint.
 
Take one down to one of the better body shops or paint stores(not a big box)in your area, they should be able to match and mix you up a pint.
Thanks - a body shop might work although then I’d need them to do the spraying. I was hoping someone would have a Krylon or Rustoleum color they found. I’d definitely want to spray these.
 
The body shop supplier can give you custom mixed paint in a "Pre-Val" brand sprayer.

It's like the top of a spray can with a replaceable glass bottom jar.
 
The body shop supplier can give you custom mixed paint in a "Pre-Val" brand sprayer.

It's like the top of a spray can with a replaceable glass bottom jar.
Really? I had no idea. I’ll check it out. I would think their sprayer would be more reliable than the ones I’ve seen online. Thanks!
 
You can even mix hardener in to make the paint act like a factory catalyzed coating.
 
You can even mix hardener in to make the paint act like a factory catalyzed coating.
Excellent. Have you used this before? More than half the reviews I see online are pretty negative. Although I realize most people that take the time to post reviews are pissed about something.
 
I've used it twice.

There is a bit of a learning curve because it doesn't behave "just like" a spray can, especially if you mix in the hardener.

It's not really like a compressor and spray gun, either.

I'd get more paint than you need (pint is probably the smallest they'll do), and practice.
 
So, I had a change of heart and went with a color more like the linen of my NLAs.
Works pretty well with my setup - and passes my wife’s aesthetic test.

Thank you everyone for your input!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4180.jpeg
    IMG_4180.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 40
Wow, those turned out really nice. I think that would be good to try on my L780/2's. What paint did you use?
 
They did turn out quite nice, well done !!!

As with anything, but especially paint work, the finish is only as good as the prep.
 
Thanks!
I’ve never used Glidden before but it covered really well - and I had to do quite a bit of prep.
Wow, that one looks like a dog thought it was a fire hydrant. :biggrin:
That's not a bad color choice, I like it. I have a pair of L570/2's with black metal grills but hate the black. I'm thinking of going with hammered copper.
I use it a lot in my amp and preamp builds.
 

Attachments

  • 20230703_123704.jpg
    20230703_123704.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230619_105117.jpg
    20230619_105117.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230323_115701.jpg
    20230323_115701.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230205_100800.jpg
    20230205_100800.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220607_112902.jpg
    20220607_112902.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 15
Wow, that one looks like a dog thought it was a fire hydrant. :biggrin:
That's not a bad color choice, I like it. I have a pair of L570/2's with black metal grills but hate the black. I'm thinking of going with hammered copper.
I use it a lot in my amp and preamp builds.
Those look great! I thought about metallic as well. Would the hammered possibly get gummed up in the holes? I’ve never used is so don’t know the consistency.
Yes, these 710s looked pretty rough when I got them.
That’s why I was the winning bidder at $40.
:)
 
Those look great! I thought about metallic as well. Would the hammered possibly get gummed up in the holes? I’ve never used is so don’t know the consistency.
Yes, these 710s looked pretty rough when I got them.
That’s why I was the winning bidder at $40.
:)
I used the hammered copper on a piece of perforated steel plate I used for ventilation on a tube phono preamp build. It worked great.
 

Attachments

  • 20240120_102129.jpg
    20240120_102129.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240120_102117.jpg
    20240120_102117.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 15
The body shop supplier can give you custom mixed paint in a "Pre-Val" brand sprayer.

It's like the top of a spray can with a replaceable glass bottom jar.

That's exactly what I did, when I built the custom fiberglass dash speaker pods, in my Mazda. Took a piece of the interior (I think the ash tray) to the auto paint store- they matched it, for a quart of paint, and I got one of those Pre-Val sprayers. Came out great. Did that over 25 years ago. Still have one of those cars now, with those same pods installed, now... and they still look good.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom