• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L710 Midrange soft dome damage

mdieckmeyer

New Member
I have a pair of ADS L710 speakers that I had stored for a year in a cardboard box. When I recently unpacked them, one of the speakers cones stuck to the cardboard and a piece of the cardboard tore off the box and is stuck on the speakers cone. I wanted to know the best way to remove the paper. Can I apply moderate heat with a heat gun? IMG_7180.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
I would not recommend heat as the cone or voice coil could be damaged.

I would lay the speaker on it's back, take a damp rag and put it over the driver to soften the offending piece of cardboard then gently pull or scrape it off.

Richard So(https://www.adsspeakersservice.com/) may also offer some suggestions.
 
Last edited:
A heat gun is pretty aggressive, a hair dryer would be a better choice but the damp rag sounds like a good idea to try.
 
i could tell you a story about when a seller personally delivered my ads 1290's and thought he was being extra safe by laying the speakers on their backs in his suv, removing the grilles and covering the speakers with a white bed sheet but you know where im going with that story !..lol..i saved the tweeters and mids but not the sheet lol..i think i just carefully picked at it with high powered reading glasses and a exacto knife, the sticky stuff on the drivers flowed back out perfectly in a couple days
 
Back
Top Bottom