• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L880 Vs L980 Which one Help?

hntjr

Active Member
I have been looking at ADS L630, L730, L780, L880, L980. I recently acquired a pair of L710 for my workshop and have been very happy with them playing off of a Sansui 7. I have been looking at the above list and have narrowed it down to three: L780, L880 and L980, but...

Hopefully adamads, thedelihaus and soundmotor will be watching this and other great ADS fans. What can I expect as difference in sound?

Additionally there is pricing? I missed a pair of L780 @$150. There are 4 L880 @$500 (he offer me $400 after my offer of $300, but they are rough and the surrounds look rusted on one pair) and L980 @ $500 w/ADS stands (look pretty clean). So what would you pick?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/4059949910.
html://worcester.craigslist.org/ele/4064302287.html
 
Register to hide this ad
Just bought a pair of L880's here, I have M12, L620's, and have had the L810, and a friend of mine had the L910, so far, I absolutely love the sound of these 880's, surprising range for their size, great lows, and pure mids and highs, just running them with a NAD-3150 which seems to compliment their build nicely.

Like you, figure I will continue to look at more ads speakers and buy whatever comes available, within reason. Asking original purchase prices for 30+ year old speakers seems a bit greedy. They are no longer a secret, like the vintage JBL, it seems like people are listing them for top dollar. I saw a pair of L-910's here recently on CL for 1300.00.

When I received the 880's I thought maybe they were the 780's because they seem smallish in size, but they were indeed 880's, I placed them next to my 620's, and the 620 is a significantly larger cabinet.


zvlg.jpg
 
Last edited:
IMO, your L-710 is a better-sounding speaker than either L-780 or L-880, but I never heard the L-980 so can make no comment there sound-wise. As for your dollars-and-sense question, I'd pass on L-880s in rough condition. It wasn't too long ago (about 1 year) that I bought a pair of L-780s in excellent condition for ostensibly $125 but some other stuff came with them for $300 which I sold for that so the ADS were free to me. Guy was asking $125 for them alone. Pass on the 880, listen to the 980 and let your ears and pocketbook be your guide is my advice, but I have seen 1290s go for about the same and they are great speakers, imo, and I personally would hold out for them.
 
I have been looking at ADS L630, L730, L780, L880, L980. I recently acquired a pair of L710 for my workshop and have been very happy with them playing off of a Sansui 7. I have been looking at the above list and have narrowed it down to three: L780, L880 and L980, but...

Hopefully adamads, thedelihaus and soundmotor will be watching this and other great ADS fans. What can I expect as difference in sound?

Additionally there is pricing? I missed a pair of L780 @$150. There are 4 L880 @$500 (he offer me $400 after my offer of $300, but they are rough and the surrounds look rusted on one pair) and L980 @ $500 w/ADS stands (look pretty clean). So what would you pick?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/4059949910.
html://worcester.craigslist.org/ele/4064302287.html
I never heard the 780's or 880's but have owned 710's and 810's and presently own 1290's and the 980's. Imho you will not be sorry if you go and get the 980's. They are truly an audiophile speaker. They make every type of music sound great. I thought the 1290's were the s**t, but the 980's have them beat imo. They do like power but my dynaco st70 can drive them just fine. There worth the $500.00. I paid that for my pair.
 

Attachments

  • PIC_0062.jpg
    PIC_0062.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 120
  • PIC_0059.jpg
    PIC_0059.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 123
  • PIC_0061.jpg
    PIC_0061.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom