• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L910 Crossover Driver Polarity

MKAudio29

New Member
Does anyone have a crossover schematic for the ADS L910 with the driver polarity marked? I have found the crossover schematic itself but do not know if any of the drivers are connected with reverse polarity. In my experience, one of the drivers is usually reversed in a 3-way 12db per octave scenario.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
No One? I have read a LOT of ADS threads here and learned a lot of ADS specific info, as well as other hi-fi hardware related information here and thought someone would chime in.

I just had my drivers refurbed by Richard So and it turns out I do not have a picture of the wires for the tweeter (swear I took one). So I don't know which way they go back. :(
I did E-mail Richard with the polarity question but so far no response.

I found plenty of schematics but the driver polarity is not noted at all on most of them.

I found this one and the woofer polarity is shown but the mid/tweets are a coin toss with the + shown dead center. I don't want to guess since the wires are soldered on and the 910's on stands are a pain to flip on their backs to work on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!


ADS 910.jpg
 
That's my drawing. I didn't want to pull the mids or tweeters to figure the polarity as I was mainly interested in the crossover details. The woofers were easy to check with a battery. When you figure it out, post the info and I can update the schematic.
John
 
That's my drawing. I didn't want to pull the mids or tweeters to figure the polarity as I was mainly interested in the crossover details. The woofers were easy to check with a battery. When you figure it out, post the info and I can update the schematic.
John

Thanks, John, its a great effort showing all the switches and option cards. If I get some definitive info I will be sure to post is here. If I had a measurement mic and software I could probably try and figure it out. I really want to get them back together and enjoy them. I have not had a big boy stereo for a little while, just getting back into it. Fortunately, my wife is pretty A-OK with the "big boxes".
Matt
 
I really enjoyed mine while I had them. In the end, too many speakers and they were quite large.
Hope you enjoy them. They work quite well with tube amps since the sensitivity is about 92dB as I recall.
John
 
In every tweeter and Midrange I have ever pulled, the positive connection was on the side of the driver where there is a circled letter/number on the back of the driver plate. However ..... In the case of the L1530, L1230 and L810, the positive wire on the midrange is crossed over at the crossover. Hope that makes sense.

In the case of a 910, I have no idea how the midrange is connected at the crossover. I hope that helps.

Garry~
 
Last edited:
View attachment 1980662

Notice the circle stamp? This is the positive terminal to the ads tweeter

Yes, that all makes sense. Richard So also marked mine with red dots, so knowing which terminal is positive is not a problem. I was wondering if the polarity was flipped on the tweeter or mid at the driver end like the tweeter on the NS1000 image below? Ideally for future reference for others, we could change the diagram John made (post #2) to show the driver connections like the one below.


1000samll.jpg

I did not think to check the crossover ends of the wires they plug into the 910 crossovers with a six-pin connector, not individual terminals. They could have flipped the wires at the plug. The 910 crossover is not marked at all for the drivers like some of the other ADS crossovers I have seen here.
 

Attachments

  • 1000samll.jpg
    1000samll.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 16
Okay, good you know how the drivers are marked. Sadly so far, I'm not a 910 owner yet, maybe someday, but in all cases in as far as the L series I mentioned above, the wires were connected properly at the driver end, and crossed over at the crossover. Best you know for sure from another 910 owner. I'm curious so I'll follow the thread and watch for confirmation.

Garry~
 
Normally, I think, a 2nd order 3way crossover has the midrange polarity reversed. Not sure why the Yamaha schematic has the tweeter reversed instead. Could be how the crossover frequencies might be spread.
 
Normally, I think, a 2nd order 3way crossover has the midrange polarity reversed. Not sure why the Yamaha schematic has the tweeter reversed instead. Could be how the crossover frequencies might be spread.
Hard to say, certainly not my area of expertise, I just used it as a visual aid.

I do know what is what on the crossover socket, very easy to trace out. I will open up the plug and see how the wires are connected.
 
I wish I could give you more technical info, but here's a couple pics of a mid & tweeter when I pulled them to send to Mr. So.
I had to mark the mid, as it had no + - markings on the driver.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
MID-Small.jpg Tweet Small.jpg
 
I wish I could give you more technical info, but here's a couple pics of a mid & tweeter when I pulled them to send to Mr. So.
I had to mark the mid, as it had no + - markings on the driver.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
View attachment 1981453 View attachment 1981454
Glenn,
The tweeter image is my missing link. That will certainly help me to figure it out.

Oddly my wires are a different color for about a foot from the driver end, almost like they were dyed. Then they return to the original color like in your picture.

I think that between your pictures and my pictures I can trace this all down and get mine put back together.

Thanks!!

Matt
 
Looks like violet and red are the plus terminal connections and the tweeter has reversed polarity in the crossover. I will add this into to the drawing and repost. Is there a way to update the drawing in the older posts?
 
Looks like violet and red are the plus terminal connections and the tweeter has reversed polarity in the crossover. I will add this into to the drawing and repost. Is there a way to update the drawing in the older posts?
I think the only way to update a post is if you made it. I agree the tweeter is reversed. I can update the drawing in this thread with a notation once you post a revised edition.
 
Wish I could have kept my 910's but we moved to a smaller house when I retired and I knew beforehand there just would not be enough room. I still enjoy reading about the experiences of others with them.
 
Wish I could have kept my 910's but we moved to a smaller house when I retired and I knew beforehand there just would not be enough room. I still enjoy reading about the experiences of others with them.
Count yourself blessed that you are one of the lucky ones to have owned and listened to them. I’m sure it was hard to part with them, and I for one appreciate your contributions for these even though you no longer have them.
 
Thanks to some great help here from the AudioKarma community (Glenn & John) I have my Richard So renewed drivers back in the cabinets with correct polarity.
They are much improved. The biggest difference is the top end extension is MUCH better. Thanks again to everyone who chipped in.
 
Back
Top Bottom