• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L910 or L1290: which to choose??

I've got L1290's and L880's and I actually prefer the L880's. They have one single woofer that's bigger but they're not as inefficient as the towers and I think they have less recessed mids than the towers....

It sure would be nice to be able to A/B these things with my own speakers before purchasing....

Having owned a couple speakers with recessed mids, your point about the 880's is useful!

Okay- I gotta ask: what kind of bass is that with a butterfly inlay and that fantastic flamed maple?!
 
It sure would be nice to be able to A/B these things with my own speakers before purchasing....

Having owned a couple speakers with recessed mids, your point about the 880's is useful!

Okay- I gotta ask: what kind of bass is that with a butterfly inlay and that fantastic flamed maple?!

I shouldn't say recessed mids, maybe they are flat and in the 880 they have a bump, anyway the 880s sound more "real" to me.

the bass is a Fodera...hoping to be playing it out again soon someday...it's the East Coast Alembic
 
The 1290's are known for flat frequency response both on and off axis IIRC. You can always change the sound with tone controls.:yes:
 
What changed between the L910 and the L910/2? (other than the color of the back). Did they improve things or "find some savings"?? Can't find a shred of info about this....

Measuring my car to see if these fat things will fit for the trip home...

No stands.... perhaps I'll prop them up on some brown and orange beanbags to continue the 70's theme.
 
I'm in a similar position, except I have A150's instead of A200's.

I absolutely love the A150's but, as is the nature of the disease, I still want more. As I understood it, the A200 is a big step up from the A150's and a very, very good speaker, difficult to beat as far as vintage offerings go... people are saying some of the top ADS offerings are better, though? I was thinking of getting A200's, but if there is something better for not much more money then that's what I'll be after... any suggestions?

I have had my eye on L1290's for quite a while and my only real complaint about them is that they don't have the same iconic looks as some of the old school bookshelf models or the shallow box of the BA's. Like others, I wonder how the L910/L980 compares to the L1290. Any ADS experts here?
 
Last edited:
I have had my ADS L1290 spkes since 1988/89. I have never listened to the L910's so I will say this,I dont think ADS has ever made a spkr that wasnt of the higest build quality and they all sound grt. I love my L1290's and I know if you were to chose this model you would be very very pleased with your choice. HAPPY HUNTING.!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom