• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L980 Refurb

GD70

Lunatic Member
Hi all!

I've been working on a set of gorgeous L980s for a client in Puerto Rico. He worked out a deal and bought these from the 2nd owner and I picked them up last December, 2 hours north of me here in NY. They were in storage for years, in their original boxes with all the documentation! My client said these will be his "Forever" speakers and wants them as new as possible.

As requested, the mids, tweeters and crossovers were sent to Mr. So. The cabinets were in overall amazing condition with just a couple small areas needing veneer repairs. Initially, I thought I could just blend in the new wipe on Poly where I sanded and replaced the veneer, but this didn't work out. The finishes didn't match gloss and color wise, so I completely sanded off the original poly factory finish, starting with a fresh veneer canvas. These originally have a Semi gloss/Satin finish. I started with Satin wipe on Poly, and wasn't liking how it looked, looking dull compared to the original. I bought wipe on Gloss Poly, and wow! There's 7-8 applications. I sanded between applications with 1500 & 3000 grit wet sand paper. These now look very high end, the veneer just glows with amazing depth.

Sonically they are phenomenal.
They will be packed up this week in their original boxes, then in heavy duty boxes with 2 inch foam padding which the owner supplied. He works at FEDX, and knows what's needed to ship these safely.

Here's pics of the project.IMG_2395.jpgIMG_2396.jpgIMG_2397.jpgIMG_2398.jpgIMG_2399.jpgIMG_2400.jpgIMG_2401.jpgIMG_2402.jpgIMG_2405.jpgIMG_2406.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
OH MY GOODNESS Glenn! This is nothing short of a total professional job from top to bottom. The iridescence restored in the wood is not only amazing but beautiful. It's not a wonder why ads used walnut in their products. This really is a show room job Glenn and if you don't mind me saying, the customer selected the right man for this job when he contacted you. Stunning.

Garry~
 
Thank you Garry!

I just finished a Face time call with the owner, and he's thrilled!

This was a very enjoyable and satisfying project. I hate to see them go!
Time to start packing them up!

Cheers, Glenn
 
I'm only curious Glenn, did the owner find these in Puarto Rico or did he have them shipped there from here? Thanks for showing the trim/vaneer work you had to do on these. Many of us pay close attention to your techniques for repairing this kind of damage.

Garry~
 
I'm only curious Glenn, did the owner find these in Puarto Rico or did he have them shipped there from here? Thanks for showing the trim/vaneer work you had to do on these. Many of us pay close attention to your techniques for repairing this kind of damage.

Garry~
The new owner was put in touch with the seller in NY. The deal was made, and the seller and I made arrangements to meet to pick them up. This all started when my client contacted me looking for a set of AR-3as. I posted a WTB post on the classic speakers forum, as well as scoured the net for possible candidates. A few candidates came up, but needed a lot of work. He asked me for some other suggestions, which I gave a few speakers that I thought would be good including ADS. Roy C. contacted me about the L980s. I forwarded the info and the deal was made. In the long run, the L980s will be the better choice and sound amazing.

The veneer work was pretty easy on these. Thanks for the kodos!

Cheers, Glenn
 
Last edited:
To follow up, here's how these were packed for their journey to Puerto Rico. The owner bought heavy duty boxes, and foam inserts so the L980 boxes sit snug. I had to add some foam inside the L980 boxes as the original molded foam was broken and missing parts. The most important thing is there's no movement, so nothing bounces around within the boxes.
Cheers, Glenn
IMG_6296.jpgIMG_6299.jpgIMG_6300.jpgIMG_6302.jpgIMG_6303.jpgIMG_6304.jpgIMG_6306.jpgIMG_6307.jpgIMG_6308.jpgIMG_6309.jpg
 
Hi,

Why did you send the midranges and tweeters for rebuilding?

I saw that they were in good shape. Their domes have no dents or scratches. The sticky coats still existed.
 
Last edited:
Hi,

Why did you send the midranges and tweeters for rebuilding?

I saw that they were in good shape. Their domes have no dents or scratches. The sticky coats still existed.
39 year old drivers should have the ferrofluid fluid replaced, and my client wanted this done so they are like new. These are his forever speakers.
 
Back
Top Bottom