• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS M12/90, Aerial 7B, Revel F36, or Tekton Pendragon?

TimPD

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Current owner of fully restored ADS L1290/2s. A pair M12/90s have become available nearby. I'd like a bit more bass (lack thereof may be a room mode effect). Thoughts on any / all of the above 4, particularly relative to one another?

Presently I have a choice of amps, including an Adcom 545, a B&K ST-1400 (current favorite), and a Sony TA-F444ES II integrated. Streamer is a WiiM Pro Plus direct to power amp. I'm using room EQ and it helps. I have bi-amped the L1290s with the Adcom (LF) and the B&K (MF, HF) and the sound was great.

Mostly rock, some jazz in a medium sized room with some acoustic treatment.

Discuss. Or not...

Thank you!
Tim
 
Register to hide this ad
The only one of those speakers I've heard are the ADS L1290. Looking at comments from other audio forums I might guess at the Aerial 7b just because of some comments about it being bass heavy. Personally I doubt any would be a major improvement over the L1290, maybe just add a little bass boost to correct for any room deficiencies.
 
I'd vote for the Aerials. I have a pair of 8B Aerial speakers and they are the best speakers I have ever owned.

The 7B speakers will definitely bring more bass than the ADS 1290 speakers. Those dual woofers drop down to 35HZ so you can expect some improvement in what you are hearing now. I liked my 1290s but I like my 8Bs a lot more.

Good luck with your choice.
 
I've never heard any of the four models you asked about. Am guessing there are very few people that have actually heard all four models and can remember how they may have compared sonically.
 
I've never heard any of the four models you asked about. Am guessing there are very few people that have actually heard all four models and can remember how they may have compared sonically.
I tend to agree with you; while there may be an audio store employee or well-heeled enthusiast out there who has heard them all the chances they will read and respond to my meager query are small indeed. Nevertheless the replies above are helpful and I thank the folks who took the time to respond!

Of course if you have a suggestion I'm open to learning of it! :)

Best
Tim
 
The 1290/2 are a competent speaker. I would suggest trying an active sub to do the heavy lifting below 50-60 hz. And I am not suggesting the sub be over-worked, just allowed to work hard enough to "fill" what you feel is missing.

I have 1290/2, 1230 and 1590/2 and none are truly bass shy, but I feel all of them can benefit from some active subbing at times dependent upon listening level and source material.
 
Realize that if you biamp the L1290 speakers using the four terminals, the low frequency connection gives the two woofers full range with no low pass filter. The mid and tweeter get a high pass filter. The only way to access the low pass filter in the crossover for the woofers is to use the full range connection (and switch). Not sure why ADS did this but if you must bi-amp, you will need to add an active or passive low pass crossover to the woofers connections and bass balance will improve dramatically.
 
@stoutblock, thank you. I have bi-amped the L1290/2s, using an Adcom 545 for the bass and a B&K ST-1400 II for the upper frequencies. The owner's manual briefly addresses why bi-amping is A Good Thing: 'lower IM distortion and greater dynamic range'. I think there's an improvement in realized damping factor, but I don't have a source for that.

To my ear, there was a definite improvement in SQ.

I was using a cheap, relatively noisy, but functional dbx active crossover to split, and low-pass filter, the signal upstream of the Adcom (bass) amp. I then took that amp out of service to rehab it. I finished that job but have not returned to the biamp configuration. I should, even though the system sounds pretty good (IMO) with the B&K alone. I'm stalled on a Pass DIY (6x24) crossover build, but I'd like to use that eventually. I just need to stop fixing our travel trailer and head down into my workshop! I could also use a MiniDSP, they are cheap enough.

As for the Aerials, I missed on a pair of 8s at Holt Hill but there are several pairs of 10T (V1) around which I'm browsing.

Thanks again -
Tim
 
I have had a pair of a/d/s M9s for three decades and have really loved them; they were my first foray into the world of ADS. I've had L570/2s and I am familiar with both L710s and L1230s. Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to listen to a pair of 1290s (would love to have a pair regardless). I love the sound of ADS speakers.

Back in the early 2000s, there was a local high-end audio shop that carried Aerial Acoustics. At the time, the 20ts were recently released and I had the fortune of listening to them, often, at that particular shop. Simply unbelievable speakers. However, at 20 plus thousand dollars, I knew I would never be able to afford them. That shop also carried the 7Bs, which were almost in my price range (a new baby at time stopped that purchase though - new baby is better anyway). The 7Bs blew me away. Not only beautiful, but extremely well crafted, and sounded phenomenal. (I'm sure you know the connection of Mike Kelly of ADS starting Aerial Acoustics and bringing the core design philosophy to Aerial). I never got the chance to buy a pair of 7Bs. However, to this day, I consistently search for a used pair on the secondary market in my corner of the US (shipping would be a bitch).

To answer your question, in my opinion, if you can find a pair of 7Bs, buy them. I don't think you'll regret it. I think, IMOP, they take the ADS sound to the next level.
 
Hello all. Hope this finds everyone well and safe. I’m late to this discussion but I have Ads1290/2 in walnut that we’re restored by Richard So for tweeters and mids. and crossovers by a local speaker tech/guru. Sound is perfect for the smaller space where they reside. I recently drove 14 hrs round trip for a pair of Aerial 7 b in Santos rosewood and they are my main system.Beautiful sound and build One can hear the Mike Kelly influence on both. The Aerials are a more modern voicing than the ADS 1290/2. Each represents a watermark of their respective eras. I use Dirac live full bw on the Aerials so they sound better in general.I love them both but Aerials are on a higher level IMHO. I also have Revel F36s as a reference for the most modern voicing of the three. I’m playing with a new to me set of Decware NFX crossoverless semi TLine open baffle speakers that are refreshingly honest in their sounds !
Best of luck to everyone in their never ending quests . It’s a fun journey
Steve in Okc,Ok
Ocu99
 
Back
Top Bottom