• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS speaker decision...

Bkphoto

Super Member
so, I have a restored set of ADS L980’s. I have a chance to get a pair of 1590’s (walnut) at about 1/2 market value...over all condition is 7 out of 10

They will need some work, cabs have scratches...plus there is a chance they are worse than pics...The one bonus being the mids and tweets are the same as 980’s so I can just drop those in..

Question, is this upgrade actually worth it.? Is it an upgrade at all, I’ve never listened to a set of ADS towers, the 980 is the only ads speaker I’ve ever heard...

Tower vs monitor
 
Register to hide this ad
One would think there would be more with the 1590 as the black cabinets were a grand different in MSRP back then. And they apparently sold a bunch of 1590s

The 980 used the 118 and 213 tweet/mid in series 1 and 118 and 214 in series 2
The 1590 was 119 and 213 and 118 and 214 in series 2 based on the ads parts list Jdurbin1 contributed to the www.

So you are correct if the speakers are both series 2.

Which one works best in your listening enviroment? If no difference, then the next issue is amplification. Not many low damping factor tube amps are ready to handle a pair of 10" woofers in the 1590. All that covered, half price, you ought to get them and enjoy them as you fix em up. If they don't work out, someone shold pay full price for them in good shape.
 
Thanks for info, I've decided to hold off, if they were the Rosewood and in better shape I would grab them....

Meh...
Thanks again..
 
Back
Top Bottom