• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advantage of an amplifier?

Sauceman

New Member
Hey troops,

Just building up my new system for the house, so far I have a Pioneer PL-300 turntable, Pioneer SX-650 receiver, CT-F700 cassette deck running a pair of French Apogee 3A speakers.

My question is would this system benefit by adding an amplifier such as a Pioneer SA8500?



cheers
 
Register to hide this ad
The 8500 is an integrated amp with "main-in/pre-out" capabilities. Are you going to replace the SX-650 receiver with the 8500 or add it to the total system? The 650 receiver does not have "main-in/pre-out capabilities so you cannot add it along with the 8500 unless you use the 8500 as the main source and just use the 650's tuner only.
 
Last edited:
The 8500 is an integrated amp with "main-in/pre-out" capabilities. Are you going to replace the SX-650 receiver with the 8500 or add it to the total system? The 650 receiver does not have "main-in/pre-out capabilities so you cannot add it along with the 8500 unless you use the 8500 as the main source and just use the 650's tuner only.

I was thinking of adding to the system.


cheers
 
The only way that I can think of adding the 8500 to your system is to use the 8500 as the main control amplifier with its own set of speakers, then use the tape out jacks from the 8500 to the AUX input jacks on the 650 with its own pair of speakers for a total of four speakers. This set up would require operating two volume controls at the same time for all four speakers. This would add more power (35WPC for the 650 and 60WPC for the 8500).

Another way (or the other way) would be to use just the 8500 with its own set of speakers and just use the 650's tuner section only for your radio listening. This would just require one set of speakers (on the 8500) and a pair of RCA patch cords coming from the 650's tape out to the 8500's tuner input. Except for the phono inputs, AUX or any other input on the 8500 can also be used from tape out from the 650.
 
Just to clarify what was said, the 8500 will be the heart of the system. the 650 will only be a tuner.

What are the power ratings of the 650 and 8500?
 
You can use any of the SX650's inputs by connecting its Tape out (Rec) jacks to any line-level input on the SA8500. None of the bass, treble, and volume controls on the SX-650 will work, but the source selector, and the tuner dial will. The SA8500 would have use of all of its controls as normal.

I wouldn't expect a big sonic improvement, but I've been wrong before. You tell us. ;)
 
If I found a nice SA-8500 for good price I would consider it. I would not expect a huge difference or upgrade. I don't listen to radio often so prefer integrated amps.
I think the 8500 might have nice phono input that is something to consider.
I would put 8500 in main system and SX-650 in the bedroom.
I don't think anybody would say getting SA-8500 is bad idea.
 
My question is would this system benefit by adding an amplifier such as a Pioneer SA8500?

Well, generally speaking, my problem with receivers always was, that one couldn't turn off the tuner section. Hence I would typically get some faint tuner crosstalk, whilst listening to other sources with comparatively inefficient high-impedance headphones (e.g. AKG K240M) in elevated volume - which of course was only noticable during pauses or pretty quiet passages, but would nevertheless bother me. Hence I've always preferred integrated amp and pre-/power-amp combos.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Hold out for a sa 9900 if you can.Biggest regret in my audio life was trading in my 9900.One of the finest integrated ever made by anybody imho.
 
Back
Top Bottom