• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent/1 vs Advent 1, not just symantecs...

No not bad....the fried tweeter does nice with acoustic string passages on folk, classic rock.

My trouble is I keep finding new speakers and push older ones out of rotation lol.

I need a basement.
 
I'm overrun too. I'll have a sale soon and unload some speakers. Use that to fix up some more speakers and maybe start some projects. Have two Bose EQ's that need capping.
 
rear vs front mount...

One thing I'm not sure I mentioned, the early models have front mounted surrounds and the latter have rear mounted surrounds. I found this both interesting and odd. Odd that Advent would change this.

There must be some logic to this.
 
I have the same pair as you.

Recapped and refomed.

Yes mine are Miterd corners also. I believe they are solid wood.

Sanded and oiled thats it they look great.

Picked them up for 45$ at a auction.

20180622_140808.jpg
 
First listening session in.

First and foremost the tweeter must be ear leve or pointed at your ears by way of tilting back the speakers. Imaging when placed at the correct height is impressive. I started with the older vinyl pair inverted and atop my HPM-100 and slightly toed in. No other adjustments were made or warranted for that matter. Instrument or vocals that appeared off-center likely were meant to be, otherwise most vocals and some instruments were clearly centered. The fact that little effort was made to get such nice imaging, to me, says a lot. Was it all good, well no. In spite of amazing T/S specs, particularly bottom end, I'm afraid the smallish cabinet ultimately "physically" restricted the bottom end. Don't get me wrong, and certainly don't be fooled. Bottom end is present, and with some bass attenuation or Loudness kicked in brings them solidly into play with other speakers. Moving them to the floor finished the imaging and mildly helped the bottom end. It seemed to me the bottom end was more present without attenuation. Switching to the later Wood finished speakers gained me a little stronger mid bass and bass. Not a lot, but it was evident.

I only listened to on cd so far Inxs "Kick". Switching to my HPM-60 speakers there was a notable improvement in bottom end. Not exactly a fair comparison, given the latter are slightly larger and ported. With the 60's on the ground imaging was not as solid as the Advents.

I'll have to try some other sources, maybe some LPs.

Feed them a ridiculous amount of power and then listen ... they certainly shouldn't lack bottom end but they require
prodigious quantities of power to get it out of them.
 
LOL, nice to see the interest is still there. Yes I played the speakers in quad configuration. Pretty fun. Sad story, after my divorce, three years ago, much of my equipment and speakers got left behind, with the goal of returning at a later time to collect. well the new owner of my home decided to hold ALL my property hostage. Lost the advents and many other pieces of gear. Up side? All my top end equipment went with me in the initial move. Bad news? It's still in storage so I'm unable to enjoy any of it. Again, thanks for the comments!
 
Feed them a ridiculous amount of power and then listen ... they certainly shouldn't lack bottom end but they require
prodigious quantities of power to get it out of them.

AFAIK, the frequency response of a speaker does not change with increased power input. Sound level increases and distortion increases with increased power input.
 
AFAIK, the frequency response of a speaker does not change with increased power input. Sound level increases and distortion increases with increased power input.

Frequency response is a measurement that is inadequate to measure the entirety of music .. it pretty much fails to address dynamics or harmonics ..
Most freq. responses are specified in an anechoic chamber.
All that interests me is what I hear..and the in room response that I hear could certainly vary with power..
Try them ...
With a 20wpc amp and then with a 150wpc amp ..
I don't doubt that they would sound terrible with a 1 watt amplifier, but they would still measure the same ??
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom