• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent 300 project

Montycat

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Subscriber
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Looking forward to this, just got my 2nd one from Village de Valeurs last week.
They are addictive little buggers arent they?
 
It's also the second I've had but the other went to a guy in Newfoundland.

I will be getting the soldering out tonight or tomorrow and start with the power supply caps. I think I have all the ones I need for the whole job too.
 
I replaced the 2 main power supply caps tonight with 4700uf x 50v. I could only find radial solder terminal type, not the long leads, so I had to get a bit creative about the wiring and mounting as they would not bridge the 2 terminal strips. I'll get a pic up later on that to show what I did.

As for the rest of them I'm a bit puzzled by the parts list at David Reaton's site. He lists this as being the ones you need:


To replace all electrolytic caps, you need to buy this list

Cap ValuevoltageConfigqty

4000 35Ax(2) done, see above
220 35Rad(5)
220 35Ax(2)
47 25Rad(2)
10 25Ax(7)
10 25Rad(16)
1 50Rad(2)
1 50Ax(6)

But (for example) I don't see 220uf caps anywhere in the amp or parts list. There are 4 100uf at 35 radial and 2 100uf at 25 volts and that almost adds up to the 7 220 he mentions but can you really substitute 220 for 100? I understand a higher voltage rating but doubling the value for uf, especially when it's not in the power supply? It seems odd. Plus the rest of his list has other weird subs as far as I can tell.

This is from the stock parts list, verified by reading the service manual. It's just the electrolytics for the amp section not the tuner.

AMPLIFIER PC BOARD

C101, C300, C1007, C1008 Cap. 1 MFD, 50V, AX Electolytic
C102 Cap. 47 MFD, 16V, PC Electrolytic
C310, C311, C312, C313 Cap. 100 MFD, 35V, Electrolytic PC
C400, C401Cap. 100 MFD, 25V, Electrolytic AX
 
Last edited:
Possible the parts list is for one version and you have the other? I gather there were two distinct renditions and then minor variants over the production run.
 
I looked into that. There are slight differences in the circuits and he shows both parts lists on the Excel file but not the 220uf. He does say he made some value changes but only specifically mentions the larger power supply caps.
 
Last edited:
Here's the latest version of the Advent 300. I've replaced most of the caps, but just got a few more that I was missing the other day which will go in soon.

Can you spot the other major difference? :)


Advent 300 Hammertone by Buhduh, on Flickr

I painted the top as you can see, using a Hammertone grey. The hammertone effect did not come through as strongly as I had thought it would or as consistently. However it does give that Hammond project box kind of look I was hoping for. I think that goes well with the Advent's simple off the self design philosophy.

It hasn't even fully cured yet and I have not bolted it down yet but I just had to see (and share) how it looks. :thmbsp:
 
Hooked and working great...on the phono stage. The tuner, not so much.

I've replaced almost all of the electrolytics but didn't have all of the values I needed in axial design so had to order them. I know that some of the ones to be replaced are in the tuner and maybe that's the problem.

Anyway, when I switched to the tuner I got a radio signal for about a minute, but it eventually disappeared. The tuning LED indicators also work for that period of seconds but stop changing in brightness as I tune and detune. They stay fully on though.

Turning it on and off or switching to phono and back does not make it come back, but once it cooled and was turned on later it did the same thing.

I'll get those caps changed and see if it helps.
 
I love my Advent 300, I guess because it has such a no nonsense, technical look. Could almost be military. And yes, the thing sounds fabulous, particularly in light of the fact that it is only 15 wpc.

I had a shop replace a bunch of the caps in it, which really improved the performance of everything but the tuner, which does not have the level of output to equal the signal from either the phone, the tape, or the aux inputs. Not sure why that is, so any suggestions?

I like the hammertone paint job, and glad to see that others are doing the right thing to keep these little jewels alive and well.
 
Yeah my tuner was very low in volume too while it worked. Maybe it will be better once I get the other caps done?

I'm going to use the same paint on a pair of Minimus 77s I got recently in the white finish. I've refoamed one of them and will do the other soon but the white has to go. I have already painted the metal grills in black so with the grey cabinet I think it will be a great match for the Advent.
 
Nice work and thread. Please post pictures of the completed set up. Have same units unused at present.....
 
Sounds like a really neat system you are putting together. Not sure what a Minimus 77 is, but I like the Minimus 7s. What's the difference. I would think that the 300, two small speakers, and a hidden subwoofer would really rock!
 
I ended up dropping the "new" 300 I got just before Christmas off to my tech for a complete re-cap and just got the news that it is all done, bias set and the works. Picking it up today or tomorrow and looking forward to giving it a good listen in the current bedroom system. How do you think it will pair with some Yamaha NS-690s?
 
Sounds like a really neat system you are putting together. Not sure what a Minimus 77 is, but I like the Minimus 7s. What's the difference. I would think that the 300, two small speakers, and a hidden subwoofer would really rock!
I tried mine with Minimus 7s before it went in to get recapped and it sounded good. I'm really interested to hear it with something bigger and more full-range, though.
 
Sounds like a really neat system you are putting together. Not sure what a Minimus 77 is, but I like the Minimus 7s. What's the difference. I would think that the 300, two small speakers, and a hidden subwoofer would really rock!


The 77 is 1" larger, with a woofer that's essentially that much bigger than the 7. I have had a lot of the 7s, and even a pair of 3.5s but this is my first pair of these. I'll post some pics later.
 
Got my 300 back from getting re-capped today and it sounds marvelous running into some Yamaha NS 690s, getting better by the minute. I am glad I didn't buy one of these with some good, efficient speakers back when I got into audio as I might not have had so much urge to experiment. Yes, it sounds very good indeed.:music:
 
I got the paint on the Minimus 77s today. I think the system looks pretty darn good! I haven't plugged a source in yet with these speakers but have been using the Advent in the main system the last few days and it sounds great.


Advent Minimus & Toucan by Buhduh, on Flickr

I think the black and grey go well together, and even better than all black, especially on the speakers.


Minimus 77 & Advent 300 by Buhduh, on Flickr

The Hammertone effect is a fair amount stronger on the speakers. Perhaps because of the texture that the aluminum already had, or maybe because my technique was different. I didn't strip the white paint but just gave it a light sanding where I sanded the Advent to the raw metal and primed it.



Minimus 77 finish by Buhduh, on Flickr


Advent 300 Minimus 77 by Buhduh, on Flickr
 
Back
Top Bottom